Add a ray?

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
Would any body advise against adding a small motoro or retic in with a pbass, tinfoil barbs, clown knife, common Pleco and silver aro? All fish are under 6" and Ray is a 4" disc.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Tank Size? Filtration? Water Schedule? Those are what would need to be broken down first.

Right off the back I will warn you against the pleco as they are known for harassing rays by sucking there slime coats.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Tank size is a valid question as the larger the tank the more you can get away with having diverse tank mates. But it sounds like you have kept them and know so much you don't really need to be asking

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
That ray is a very small pup at this point and will have almost an impossible time getting food at the bottom. Unless your going to divide it off or find some method of getting lots and lots of food to a very needing pup that will be very hard to do. That is my only worry I see is feeding the pup and making sure it gets the care that it will need. Most likely it's going to be on earth worms for the next while till converted to other foods.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
That ray is a very small pup at this point and will have almost an impossible time getting food at the bottom. Unless your going to divide it off or find some method of getting lots and lots of food to a very needing pup that will be very hard to do. That is my only worry I see is feeding the pup and making sure it gets the care that it will need. Most likely it's going to be on earth worms for the next while till converted to other foods.

was proboably my biggest concern. my only hope was that everybody is on pellets now. so feed em till their full, then dump in the worms/shrimp if I could get it on shrimp. could divide as well.

the ray is just a thought though, not set in stone.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
It would do fine. The retic could live in the 240 his whole life.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
You will have a hard time getting a retic that small to eat a full size earthworm. Motoro might do better. But I also agree with the other guys, just getting the food to them will be your hardest part. Even if your other fish are pellet trained, 9 times out of 10... a fish will eat a nice fat worm even if they already ate. Worms are like crack to fish. LOL
You could help the ray out by placing the worms rt in front of the ray instead of just dropping them in and hoping he get it before someone else does.
As far a tank mates, your selection is fine (except the pleco). Only concern I see if that all the fish you picked will grow faster than the pup and could end up being an issue later for you. Esp with the Clown Knife.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Best options will most likely have to be the following:

-separating the ray for a few months for it to develop good feeding habits (easier with motor) can be rewarding as possible best way to get it on pellets.
-Buying an already establish ray, not mature as it will most likely harass other tank mates but at least one already feeding on pellets aggressively.
-May need to use a pvc pipe and throw food in there and let it reach the bottom of the tank for the ray while throwing food on top of the surface to distract the others.
-Prepare for the worse, have a holding tank set before adding the ray as once an issue occurs the problem causing fish can easily be removed for the safety of others or the safety of it's self.

^^Thats all i see right now, also make sure you remove the pleco...not saying their all problematic but better be safe then sorry!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store