Power head or not

slimjimlim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2013
Colorado
I watched a lot of video on youtube of people with and without power heads. Do silvers and jardinis like current? Do you guys use a powerhead? Im thinking of putting one in too keep their poop off of the sand. Let me know what you guys think.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
When I had my large silver Aro in my 180 I used a powerhead, but like you mentioned, I put it there to move poo. I have both of FX5 outlets pointed at the surface, where the aro spent 95% of his time anyway, and he never seemed to mind. Not sure if he "liked" current, but he certainly tolerated it.

If he's going in a big tank, the added current is good regardless.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
My jardini loved current swam in it most of the time , I had fx6 one end and powerhead at other , keeps them strong and active imo

slimjimlim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2013
Colorado
My jardini loved current swam in it most of the time , I had fx6 one end and powerhead at other , keeps them strong and active imo
Should have told u mine are still small. My 2 silvers and about 8 inches and my jardini is about 6 inches. Is that fine or should i wait when they get a little bigger.

slimjimlim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2013
Colorado
When I had my large silver Aro in my 180 I used a powerhead, but like you mentioned, I put it there to move poo. I have both of FX5 outlets pointed at the surface, where the aro spent 95% of his time anyway, and he never seemed to mind. Not sure if he "liked" current, but he certainly tolerated it.

If he's going in a big tank, the added current is good regardless.
Where was ur power head located to move their poop and how did u have it pointing? Did it make a big different?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I got three running in my 220 pointing at the floor, being bare tank all the crap just gets stuck on the bottom but because of the power heads eventually the crap gets sucked up by one of my three filters on it. I have no clue what brand they are but they move A LOT. Two in a corner and one in the other corner. I had two maxijet 900's and they stand no match what so ever. The new power heads go about 2/3rds the length of the tank and no more build up on the bottom!

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Should have told u mine are still small. My 2 silvers and about 8 inches and my jardini is about 6 inches. Is that fine or should i wait when they get a little bigger.
they'll be fine once used to it , you could create a blind spot for now and gradually change that by angling the outlets , my powerhaeds on the surface creating an anti clockwise syclone in the tank with the fx6 at other end ( ive angled one FX nozzle downwards to help pull crap off the bottom)

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
I have my FX5 pointed and angle at the side wall which bounces off the side wall. Than my powerhead receives that current than my power head is pointed at the front pane and also on and angle kinda pushing the flow off the front pane but angled down too. My Aro seems fine with it, I thought it was needed for Aro`s. I have the same setup in my 220 for my Snakeheads and Gar to swim into. I would have thought it would help keep them strong and active. kinda like exercise. lol

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
Can Current hurt Aros or their fins ?

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
Would this concept change if it was a Black Aro, I have read they come from calm and still waters ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store