Alligator gar tank size

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
I am in the process of building a 340 gallon tank 6'x3'x30" and I am wondering if this is a large enough tank for an alligator gar. Im assuming its not and if so what other kinds of gar would fit well in there besides a florida?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
need a swimming pool for an alligator gar really, could keep one then release it if you live in their natural range tho? as far as one that will fit thats for the experts but good luck.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
With 6x3 feet of swimming space, that really would be good for only a couple of years. A pool is the way to go.

Orcajoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Colorado
A Spotted or tropical gar would work usually end up at about three feet. If you want to do a few of them I would go with needle nose gar they don't usually exceed 1.5ft.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
A Spotted or tropical gar would work usually end up at about three feet. If you want to do a few of them I would go with needle nose gar they don't usually exceed 1.5ft.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
needle nose fish is not gar! Spotted normally end up about the same size as Florida which is around 22'' max in captivity. Tropical might grow a bit bigger and could be closer to 3'.

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
Thanks guys! no plans on getting a pool anytime soon so ill shy away from that. I did not know Tropical gar was even a species, very interested in them now thanks!

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
Spotted Florida Gar reach 18-22 inch they are a really nice Gar :)

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
tropical gar are indeed awesome but very very expensive.

wilsonhuweishen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2013
Malaysia
the bigger the better, alot of experience keeper told me, if ur tank is more than 8 footer square, depend what u feed, they can grow 4 feet very easily in the 1st two year. mine using 4 footer, grow 2.5 ft not within a year. alligator and cuban gar need to have bigger homes, tropical, spotted and florida gar, well they can be very good tankmates in the aquarium all the time. probably they can live entire life in the aquarium if ur aquarium is big according to their max size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store