Shedding slime coat

BongDini

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2013
Somewhere
Hi everyone, i just did a water change as usual as how i do it. I'll siphon 20% off and top up with new fresh tapwater with seachem safe.

However this time my arowana started shedding slime coat particularly under his belly (none on both side of his body just under belly and alittle bit of the face) I'm able to know this because micro bubbles started to cling onto it so it's like bubbles sticked to his body. I have the air pump blasting oxygen as usual after water change and it's getting better after 1 hour. All the time my arowana doesn't behave weirdly. Just going around his usual business. My other fish common pleco has no problem either same with my flagtail.

So may i ask what could be causing this so i can avoid the same mistake again. And for the need my tank water is good. 0 Ammonia Nitrite but i don't test for Nitrate. My pH is 6.5 - 6.8 (can't really gauge the color of the test :irked: ).

My best guess is the slight different in pH maybe? My tapwater is neutral at around 7 or maybe 7.2. And the weather today is cold but the water in the tank seems slightly warm when i felt it during the water change. Could it be the different in temperature?

My filtration has micro bubbles coming out from the outflow 24/7 but it usually doesn't do this to my fish.

Please help. Thank you.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Could you possibly get a picture? your canister is getting air in it some how, if the air pump is near the inlet of the canister filter then thats whats causing it. But you should rock the canister filter back and forth to get out trapped air out

BongDini

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2013
Somewhere
Could you possibly get a picture? your canister is getting air in it some how, if the air pump is near the inlet of the canister filter then thats whats causing it. But you should rock the canister filter back and forth to get out trapped air out
Hi there,

Sorry i could not get a photo as the bubbles and slime shed has already cleared up 1 hour after the water change like i mentioned. I'm not using canister i'm using filter with internal powerhead.

BongDini

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2013
Somewhere
Problem solved guys.

It's silly somehow. I removed the cap of the powerhead couple days ago to generate more bubbles and redirection of the outflow. Result in more micro bubbles produced. I don't know if micro bubbles are good for fishes but i think it is good for the water. But in my case the bubbles get caught under my arowana in which it irritates the skin hence the slime shed.

I just put the cap on back on the outflow and problem gone instantly. The bubbles under my arowana is gone right away. Thanks anyway guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store