Arowana in indoor pond on hunger strike 1 month+

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
Hello MFK,

It's been a while, but I need some help. Here are the facts:

I've got a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank pond (The 6' diameter one) in my basement laundry room with a shower curtain and clamps keeping it covered. The substrate is ~1" pool filter sand. The contents are one silver arowana ~18" give or take. Usually he eats hikari gold floating pellets from the surface, but he hasn't in a long time, I'm guessing going on a little over a month now.

Filtration is a FX5, 2 of the biggest hydro sponge filters and a power head sponge filter. Nitrates are about 10-30 PPM last couple times I have checked, I've done a 25% water change twice, and I've cleaned the FX5 by emptying it of the detritus filled water and shaking the sponges out in dirty pond water as not to remove too much beneficial bacteria.

I tried feeding him thawed market shrimp today, feeders the other day, and pellets on and off every couple days to get him to eat. Nothing has worked. There are no noticeable lesions or marks on the arowana, the gills look proper and he looks generally healthy.

Also, he used to be housed with some vieja, or paraneetroplus or whatever they're called now, in the pond (fenestratus, zonatum, regani etc.). Once the vieja reached sexual maturity though, the dominant female killed off quite a few of the other vieja, but never bothered the aro. That being said, I ended up getting rid of the last couple vieja since I couldn't keep the aggression down.

Is it possible that the arowana was stimulated to eat by the tank mates?

Is there anything else I can do to get him to eat? Get another larger more peaceful cichlid (like a snook or an oscar or something) to try and stimulate him to eat again?

Thanks in advance.

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
how is the ammonia, nitrite, and ph?

might have to do with lighting and visibility. i find that silvers get scared the easiest. if he came from a glass aquarium he's probably not used to not being able to see outside. it might be good to keep a night light on at all times. i have a lamp on 24/7 pointing into the pond.

you'll also want to pay close attention to any injuries or infections. it's really hard to see the extent of it from above.

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
Thanks for the response!

I actually thought of the lighting issue, so I added a 5 arm directional floor lamp to the side that gives him "moonlight" at night, and then there is a double 8' fluorescent fixture right above the pond that we leave on during the day. I didn't notice any nitrites or ammonia in the test strip, but I got an API liquid test kit and will try testing specifically for those today.

I actually moved him around with the grabber arm I have for my planted tank (I had some shrimp in the claw and was dangling and dropping it in front of his face). He was so docile, just kind of letting me pull him all the way to the top of the water. I might net him out and see if I notice anything else, but I did get a good look at him when I brought him to the top of the water.

I agree about the difficulty of seeing in a pond. I didn't notice much of the cichlid aggression going on until it was too late, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'll get back with test results for ammonia.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Just starve it till it'll eat. I starved my jardini when he was around 6-7 inches for a month to be pellet trained and he was fine and grows beastly till this day lol. He should break within a couple weeks. Stay strong, I caved to my jar more than 3 times throwing blood worms in their because I felt bad but this only delayed and dragged the whole cycle over. He'll eat when hes ready!

stantheman168

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Syracuse NY
My aro was always a healthy eater in a 150 gal with 10 other tankmate but when i moved him to a 125 gal by himself he stop eating, I tried all the different food he used to love but nothing work. And one day he when back to normal again, he will eatwhen he is ready

juanmacipag

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
Queens, new york
www.youtube.com
That happened to my friends silver arowana too, he didn't eat for at 3-4weeks. we even saw a yellowish jelly round balls hanging around the filter we didn't even know if its a poof or if he vomits it for the arowana lives by himself in the tank.

First thing we did was check the ph, ammonia and etc (+1 to Aeri) and the result was normal.
Here in the east coast - New York, its is cold so the tanks temp is always set to 80F
We've change the water every other day and to our surprise Jumbo (arowana name);
we've feed him large pellets, krill and medium size dried shrimp but this guy is not eating.
We thought Jumbo is going to be a history.

But I got an idea, we bought gupys and quarantined it for 3-4 days and fed them pellets and daily water change.

The fifth day we drop 5 of them in Jumbos tank - next day 3 gupys are gone.

Now he is back to pellets and occasional krills.

I'm not suggesting you do what we did but that's our experience and just wanted to share.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Is this tub sitting on the basement floor ? Might have already done it but the First thing i would check is temperatures, Unless it's insulated and/or raised off the floor then a tank with that footprint could be loosing a lot of heat into the floor below. Cooler temps , or cold nights could easily put them off food.

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
Well it's May now, and he still hasn't eaten. I've tried live fish, frozen shrimp, frozen fish filets, earthworms, pellets, etc. This is a 6 month strike now. He swims around mid level and makes sudden jolts to the side of the pond if I reach my hands in to get the uneaten pellets out. I have no idea what else to try. No signs of gill curl, no drop eye, parameters are fine. I checked the temperature and it was about 80 degrees F today. I keep a shower curtain over the pond to reduce evaporation/heat loss.

Do fish suffer from some type of separation anxiety? Since he used to share this pond with the vieja's he ate when they did, and it was like a feeding frenzy whenever anything was thrown into the pond. Once they killed each other off, he just stopped eating altogether.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Wow...it's been over 5 months since it last ate? I am surprise he's still kicking. Pesonally I would have added some other fish long ago to replace the veijas. Possibly try adding some smaller dither type fish like giant danios, that may trigger the predator in him.

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
I have tried adding multiple different types of fish at this point, and I'm really at a loss of things to try. Most of the time I just added feeders and they had died rather quickly (I assumed due to the increased temp or stress or a combination of both).

Today I added 7 Buenos Aires tetra, a quick/somewhat aggressive warm water dither fish. They were all dead or near death within a few hours. The arowana did not eat any though. I noticed some redness by the heads and possibly some lesions or white puffy spots on the body. I'm not sure if it is the result of a fungus, bacterial infection or just stress from the giant arowana sharing the space with them.

I think this presence may be the root cause of the arowana's lack of appetite. But the arowana is showing no symptoms other than lack of appetite, (no redness, lesions, labored breathing, etc.). If anyone that could shed some light on this potential pathogen I would appreciate it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store