Flakes crumbled...how to reduce mess during feeding

skald89

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Fresh meadows - Queens, NY
I bought 1lb of flakes from yourfishstuff.com. After a year the flakes in my bag have all crumbled to small pieces. During feeding a lot it sinks or gets sucked up by the filter before my fish get to them due to size.

I tried freezing them in some water to get them to larger sizes, by being frozen together. Once I put it in the water it melts and makes a mess once again. What should I do, short of buying new food?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I learned this from a pet channel that doesn't air anymore, you need a small or medium Styrofoam coffee cup, cut coffee cup at the the top , this should look like a hoop ,ring. The ring will float place gradually the amount you would like to feed in the center. Food will just drift down in that area unless there is a lot of current. Hope this helps :)

skald89

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
I don't know where they sell gelatin. Im sure I can find a store easily that sells it to use. My biggest concern is that I have yellow labs and gelatin might not be the best thing to feed them.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
I don't know where they sell gelatin. Im sure I can find a store easily that sells it to use. My biggest concern is that I have yellow labs and gelatin might not be the best thing to feed them.
granules

skald89

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
I really don't want to buy new food as I have more than 1/2lb of flakes left.

What does granules mean in this case?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store