Gar + oscar

oscarandgardude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
mission,B.C
hi most people i ask this say the gar will be killed but my oscar is very mellow. He lives with 3 inch goaramis and such. But the oscar is at size 14 inches and kills anything that picks a fight with it or trys to be dominate he killed my 16 inch clown knife. So the q is are gars dominate and will they work with my oscar

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
what kind of gar we talking about most gars grow very fast there first year a long nose gar can grow up to 2 feet in its first year I had a few gars with larger fish and they were all right if your scared get something to keep him busy so it will leave the gar to grow

PIKEFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
ATLANTA
how much space is in the tank? Gar have a hard time making tight turns and a bully can corn them pretty easy. they are tuf as nail but if they have nowhere to go eventually they will get beaten silly by a bored oscar.

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I wouldn't try it. The gar might try to "make itself dominant", as you put it, or it may just accidentally bite the oscar, gars tend to do that. By the way, longnoses won't grow to two feet in their first year. Maybe 18", but not 2'. Alligator gars, however, will reach 2' in their first year.

oscarandgardude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
mission,B.C
Ok i would getting shortnose and since gar would suffer i leave them separate. I figured the oscar would out do the gar at feeding time anyway and the gar would go hungry my oscar is a pig. Ty for info. Also would tiger shovelnose work with gar

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Gars are not generally aggresive and should do fine with an oscar unless the oscar is a bully.

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
I think someone brought up a very important question. What is the size or dimension of the tank? ANY fish living in very tight environment will exert dominance and the fittest will survive....That could very well be the reason the oscar is such a bully is because of living space. If you have a large tank, there should be no problem, unless everyone is hungry and they view each other as food, like two stranded people on a deserted island... :naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store