BioCube

kove32

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2006
Pittsburgh
Hey all,

Just recently got a biocube for Christmas. I'm going to do a saltwater tank and think I'm going to do a dwarf lion fish. My question is, what do I do about the filtration? I heard the bioballs aren' the best option for it. I already got a biocube protein skimmer. I'm going to do crushed coral.

If anyone has any advice, that would be great! If you have links to amazon, I'll go ahead an just add those when I set it up! thank you!

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You just need to use live rock for your biological filtration. The reason people say not to use bioballs is they tend to get clogged and just turn into nitrate factories.

kove32

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2006
Pittsburgh
Thank you! Is there any other sort of chemical filtration I should use?

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Watch youtube videos and decide what you like. There are tons of modifications people do. I will use chaeto in one of the sections. Any form of biological filtration can become nitrate factories even if you put rocks back there. You just have to clean it of use a good pre filter. If you use a rack you can put filter floss on top of the bio balls to catch the garbage. Then just change the floss.

Look into chemipure elite for chemical filtration.
Here is a good way to make media baskets.
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/221185-13-diy-biocube-media-rack/

kove32

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2006
Pittsburgh
Perfect! Thank you guys! I have seen a ton of different things on youtube, and have been quite overwhelmed. I have done a saltwater tank before, but haven't really gotten too advanced with it. I usually stuck with the basics. Now that I have the biocube, I figured I might as well do it as right as possible.
The most common advice I saw was to put a Eshopps Small Foam Square in the second part to catch all of the small things (protein skimmer in the first chamber) and then put some Chemipure filter media in next to it.

Does that sound like a good option? Or would I be better off just putting some floss above the bioballs and maybe just putting chemipure filter media next to the pump?

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store