Do you prefer single species tanks or a 'community' tank?

Texchappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Lubbock, Tx
As a general question with Rift cichlids in the aquarium, do you like a one species breeding tank or groups of 3-5 species in a 'community' tank? I'm thinking primarily of Lake Tanganyika but the question goes for the various forms of Lake Malawi as well.

moodleymike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2013
canada
I prefer community tank its fun watching the fish with a lot of different colours is great and how they react to every fish its more work but its worth it

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
I like a community tank but with three different species and enough fish for each species to have their own colony. Then I can watch their natural behavior with each other and how they interact with the other colony's

lorax84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2011
Michigan
Depend on the which lake you are talking about, but in general I prefer community tanks. That being said, all of my Tanganikans are in species tanks because its impossible to keep certain species together without 150 gallons of tank. I also keep all my breeding groups in species tanks.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I have a great wife. As mentioned in another thread, she was inspired to a community like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y1aR29-8nI
I like the a community tank with contrasting size, body shape, color and habit, such as the the one above. I do not like an all hap community tank that all fish are mouthbrooders sharing similar size, body shape, blue and yellow color, which is boooooring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store