170gallon shell + rock dweller?

BamaFever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2014
United States
Hello folks. I used to be a member here years back, but when I request to have my info sent to me, it says it was sent to my email but nothing ever shows up (no inbox/spam/trash/etc) So I have made a new account! I have a 170g tank and thought it would be neat to craft it in to a large rock + shell dweller community. By using something like eggcrate, cut and structured in a way to create "shelves" in the tank. I would affix sand/shells to this on some sort of solid surface attached to the eggcrate. I would place this on top of a sandy bottom filled with larger rocks for smaller rock dwellers.

is this an idea anyone has done before? Does anyone have some more information that I could work on? Is this a feasible idea? Is such a large tank for such small fish silly? Thank you.

Michiba54

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
Florida
I don't think people have had too much success with the shelf thing, the fish just really want to be on the bottom.

That being said, something like Neolamprologus multifasciatus need about 6-8" of territory (at the very least) so you could probably set up a little area in the corner. Very well may get eaten though if the tank mates are bigger then 4".

Good luck, shellies are neat little fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store