Score!!!! Wife's on board on a 240 gallon.

Texchappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Lubbock, Tx
Showed my wife this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y1aR29-8nI (Continuation of the last) and she said, 'well how much space would a 240 gallon take up?" So now she wants a similar set-up! Even has it placed in our dining room. She has wanted Fronts since the one we had in our almost all male tank. She also loved all the cichlids we've had and knows my love of the little julies and calvus and cyprichromis.

I'm going to be on here asking a lot of questions - planning and getting ready for a setup like this- lol.
So, any initial suggestions?

Just to get the ball rolling, for filtration I like Eheim classic canisters but I'm not as familiar with the bigger ones I'll need for a set-up like this. After reading the praise of the lowly sponge filter thread on here I think 2-3 of those would be in order (right?). There's a lot of new things since I last had tanks - UV, in-line heaters, 3D backgrounds, LED lights (those current sattelite+ look pretty cool). Any and all ideas appreciated on where to start and how to end up where we want to go appreciated.

TIA,
Tony

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
For a 240G you would need a couple of larger cannister filters and maybe a couple of HOB filters like emperor 400's or AC 110's. I don't think sponge filters will work very well on a tank this large. Maybe the largest ones for bio filtering but for mechanical filtering it won't do much.

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
Look into a wet dry setup. I have used eheim classics on small tanks and did the job but you're talking 240g. Fluval fx5 is the way to go if you want canisters. I'll take my DIY 55g wet dry sump set up over my fx5 though. They can be inexpensive to put together also.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Texchappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Lubbock, Tx
For a 240G you would need a couple of larger cannister filters and maybe a couple of HOB filters like emperor 400's or AC 110's. I don't think sponge filters will work very well on a tank this large. Maybe the largest ones for bio filtering but for mechanical filtering it won't do much.
Was planning on the sponge(s) being bio/backup/ready for QT and not so much for mech. I have a couple of Emperor 400's from previous setups. I plan on getting the biggest Eheim canister.

Texchappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
Lubbock, Tx
Look into a wet dry setup. I have used eheim classics on small tanks and did the job but you're talking 240g. Fluval fx5 is the way to go if you want canisters. I'll take my DIY 55g wet dry sump set up over my fx5 though. They can be inexpensive to put together also.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I'll have to research sumps as I don't know much about them.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Think about running a sump for filtration but 2 of the large fx5 filters or fx6 or eheim 2262s would be great and silent.

JimA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2012
Bellingham
I run 2 aquatop 400s and a FX5 on my 240 Tropheus tank. That tank in the vid is great, did you see his build on it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store