Need help with a rainbow id.

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
I picked up three of these guys a few weeks back from my lfs. They were marked as "red bosemine rainbow" (don't know if I spelled bosemine right). I know what they look like when full grown but I can't find any information on what the baby's look like. Even on websites that sell them they only show pictures of the adults. I tried getting the best pictures that I could, but they never stop moving. If needed I can take a video and post to YouTube.

Some of the better pics.
uploadfromtaptalk1388632471628.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1388632505026.jpg

They are still small. Two of the three have a beautiful redish orange that covers the back half of the body. The largest of the three, about an inch or so, is starting to get a purple hue to his scales up front. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
Looks like a dwarf neon . You say they are small but their shape looks mature to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
Looks like a dwarf neon . You say they are small but their shape looks mature to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The only thing that I would disagree with is I bought them a month ago at the longest. And the largest of the three has doubled in size in that month. I've never seen growth rates like that in any kind of mature fish.

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
Was actually able to snap a pic where my camera was able to focus and snap the pic.

uploadfromtaptalk1388636815358.jpg

The pic dosent show off the color of the fish, but you can still see where the back half is redish orange and some purple/blue in the front.

I don't know if it helps but in the morning when I turn my tank lights on, all three if these rainbows will have a black line running from their eyes back to their tail along their lateral line. It is solid in the center but towards the top and bottem of this line it sorts of starts to blend into the scales.

onefowl1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
United States
Def not any form of Boesemani rainbowfish but a [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Red Rainbowfish Glossolepis incisus I believe from the pics . The males are almost solid red as adults. Boesemani have a vertical black bar midway through the body that can fade or darken depending on mood even as small juveniles also most if not all forms have a white edge on their rear fins. The Red Rainbowfish in ones i have had did when small have a faint black horizontal line mid body when stressed or just after the lights come on. Keep us updated as they grow the reds grow to about three inches in length. [/FONT]

onefowl1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
United States
Also none of the fish have an adult look but that of a juvenile. Once most rainbows mature they become less streamlined and taller in body, The males go further in that they develop a shoulder hump behind their head.

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
Looks like melanotaenia irianjaya
I just looked up this rainbow as well as the red rainbow. To me it looks like it could either or. My best bet is probably going to be just wait it out and see what they develop into. It seems tough to id these guys as juveniles.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store