trouble with new gator gar

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I just got a new gator gar about three weeks ago, all he would eat is goldfish. I wanted to get him off goldfish and eating krill and tiliapa,I bought some Kent garlic xtreme so he would eat both,but now he is not eating the tiliapa any more, also he has started to mes up my divet fish so had to move them after he killed two of my black bar silver dollers he is about 23 inches long and I have it in with two large arows and he messed up one of there eyes,but I think it will get better I also have a 14 three bar dat,12inch buterkaurfry 16inch flag tail,Florida gar16 inches and a true parrot fish and left two large red hooks. they are all in a 420 gallon tank, do you think I should get rid of the gator gar? or do you think it will eventually calm down and does any one have any suggestions how to get him to eat more variety

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
what do you expect on a gator gar? not killing everything when it still young? the fish will eventually calm down and become more lay back when it reach maturity which is around 6 years old. So it is best to keep him alone for now.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Sounds like you took away his live food so now he is eating other live you don't want him to eat. Sounds pretty standard. Either get him off live when he is tank alone or get rid of the gar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Now that I took out the red Hook silver dollars and the black bar silver dollars its been three days and he seems to be leaving my other fish alone the silver dollars were about 7 to 8 inches long I was really surprised that he was able to get them they are really fast. I still am going to give him the Tiliapa and he eats the dried krill.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I hope your right ,but i still want him to eat other things not just freeze dried krill, maybe I try some silver side does any body just feed there gators just krill? or maybe I will try some floating pellets or sticks

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
bought some new food today its Hikari jumbo carnisticks looks like I got him eating one more thing, the one thing I don't like about it is after the fish eat it a lot comes out the gills and clouds up the tank,but I am on my way to getting him on a better diet than gold fish. I think I will try some floating pellets next. I will let you know how that works out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store