Poor Chevette

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
When it rains it pours.

The PT was had fluid leaking issues so I took it to the shop on New Years eve(of course they kept it for a few days).

I drove the Chevette to the doctors yesterday and the timing belt broke just as I was arriving(coasted into the parking lot).

Had it towed to the shop(AAA paid for the tow). They confirmed that it was indeed the timing belt and said it also bent the valves in the head(over $2,000).

I called AAA to see if they could tow it to my house(no money to fix it). They agreed and also said they would pay for it again(yea).

After talking to my Chevette buddies they said it won't bend the valves and they said it is about a 2 hour job for replacing the belt(more yea).

I messed with it some today and got some of the stuff off(including the broken timing belt). It appears the water pump is leaking. May as well change it while I'm there.

When we believed the head needed work done to it, the wife became convinced it's not worth it but I did convince her we could get a Mustang 88-94 convertible 5.0 . She does seem ok with this even after I told her the new cost to fix the Chevette will be about $50 now.

Meanwhile the dealer called and wanted to keep the PT until Monday to check the alignment but I said no way we need another car.

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Get a camaro!

Sad story but it sounds better then mine! I bought a project car. Safetied it for a $1k drove it all summer. Had an oil leak and wasn't firing properly all summer but was consistent. Took it in (too a close family friend so I can trust the guy and I feel like I get a great deal compared to the prices I find online) so I think small oil gaskets. Now I'm practically rebuilding my engine (like everything but pistons and block pretty much). Small $300 into at least 3k

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Get a camaro!

Sad story but it sounds better then mine! I bought a project car. Safetied it for a $1k drove it all summer. Had an oil leak and wasn't firing properly all summer but was consistent. Took it in (too a close family friend so I can trust the guy and I feel like I get a great deal compared to the prices I find online) so I think small oil gaskets. Now I'm practically rebuilding my engine (like everything but pistons and block pretty much). Small $300 into at least 3k

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
You may as well tear the engine completely down, and do it all. At least ball hone it, and get some new rings and bearings in there. Where was the leak anyway?

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
You may as well tear the engine completely down, and do it all. At least ball hone it, and get some new rings and bearings in there.
Thats what is happening. ITs being torn down right now and I am getting new bearings, rings and all gaskets done. As well as carb, camshaft, intake, and a bunch of other things.

To the OP aren't old cars fun ! at least with the mustang there are SOO many and parts and other things will be easy to find and it will be easy to find the right one at the right price

bulldovii

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
Fairfield, Illinois
When it rains it pours.

The PT was had fluid leaking issues so I took it to the shop on New Years eve(of course they kept it for a few days).

I drove the Chevette to the doctors yesterday and the timing belt broke just as I was arriving(coasted into the parking lot).

Had it towed to the shop(AAA paid for the tow). They confirmed that it was indeed the timing belt and said it also bent the valves in the head(over $2,000).

I called AAA to see if they could tow it to my house(no money to fix it). They agreed and also said they would pay for it again(yea).

After talking to my Chevette buddies they said it won't bend the valves and they said it is about a 2 hour job for replacing the belt(more yea).

I messed with it some today and got some of the stuff off(including the broken timing belt). It appears the water pump is leaking. May as well change it while I'm there.

When we believed the head needed work done to it, the wife became convinced it's not worth it but I did convince her we could get a Mustang 88-94 convertible 5.0 . She does seem ok with this even after I told her the new cost to fix the Chevette will be about $50 now.

Meanwhile the dealer called and wanted to keep the PT until Monday to check the alignment but I said no way we need another car.
So did you get the stang yet. Make sure you post pics.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Get a camaro!
Not a strong fan of Camaros, I prefer Mustangs first.

Skip the Mustang and put a SBC in the Chevette!
That's what killed my first Chevette back in the 80's.

So did you get the stang yet.
Not yet. I have one more payment on my Outlander(next month) and I want to get the Chevette running before I buy another car.

Make sure you post pics
Of Course, I'll have a hard time not posting about it.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
lol, Cool keeping the chevette alive! People always look at me funny when I mention my Vega or the Pacer I want :)

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Finally started moving in a positive direction. I had to remove the crankshaft pully to remove a bracket that was blocking me from putting the timing belt on. Problem was the crankshaft was turning freely and there was no apparent way to lock it in place. My Chevette buddies told me to remove a spark plug (N#1) and feed a rope into it, then loosen the bolt. It worked(neat trick). I then removed the bracket. I clean the water pump area and put the new one on(picture). So, everything from here on is putting the Car back together.

CAM00050.jpg

CAM00050.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store