Big alligator gar tankmates?

mralbin123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2011
Sweden
Hello :)
I'm planning on buying a new Alligator gar when my cichlas have moved to the new tank. Im planning on raising the gar up to 3 feet or something and I'm guessing that takes two years or so but my question is, what kind of tankmates can I have with it? I was thinking sturegons or maybe some big cuban gars but what do you think? :)

wilsonhuweishen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2013
Malaysia
sturgeon can never had tankmates, they are too fragile, if the gar knocked the sturgeon when feeding, it will just kill the sturgeon, they had soft bone. so far only GOURAMI, CATFISH FAMILY, GAR FAMILY, ARAIPAMA GIGAS. alot of ppl think catfish is dangerous, but mine fit well and blend well even in a 4 footer, as long as u dont starve them, cause both catfish and gars were just swallow anything.

mralbin123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2011
Sweden
OKay dude :) thanks! :) I hope to find something really rare to give the tank that extra feeling and not making it that classic tank with a oscar cichlid, silver arowana, rtc, gator gar etc but every opinion helps :)

wilsonhuweishen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2013
Malaysia
im currently had a 2.5 ft gar, 2 ft RTC, will be missing TSN, still looking for goonch catfish, maybe platinum and golden gar. check out my new tank that i built for them. cause i also no idea for my gar tankmates.

mralbin123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2011
Sweden
im currently had a 2.5 ft gar, 2 ft RTC, will be missing TSN, still looking for goonch catfish, maybe platinum and golden gar. check out my new tank that i built for them. cause i also no idea for my gar tankmates.
Will check its out :)

A goonch would be perfect to have with it dude :)

domingos.44

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
cambridge on
I had my big gator gar with a silver arowana pacu oscars cloen knife and 2 rtc worked out great

Sent from my SGH-I747M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mralbin123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2011
Sweden
I had my big gator gar with a silver arowana pacu oscars cloen knife and 2 rtc worked out great

Sent from my SGH-I747M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Sounds good :) I alreadu have a silver aro so thats nice but I was planning on buying an short body rtc

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
In my experience, Gar's generally will be Ok with any kind of fish which is to big for their mouths. In the past I have even kept goldfish with my gars. Personally the best tank mates from the years have been Rays, Nile Perch, Catfish, Paddlefish, etc.. Good luck with your Gar and I hope the advice helped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store