All male tank possible in my tank?

Sweety

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2012
SE Northumberland, UK
Hi all, i've got a 36"L x 12"D x 15"H & if possible would like to keep some malawi in the tank, now i'm not really bothered about breeding & TBH find the females a bit dull so was wondering if I could keep just males ? I do like peacocks due to their colouring:drool: I understand the colouring/markings would have to be different to help cut down the aggression.
Would be grateful on any advice/views & what I could possibly keep as i'm a total rift newbie:confused:

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
How many gallons is that 30-35 gallons? If that's the case I would go with a smaller type of fish. Though I have kept 2 breeding pairs of peacocks in that size of a tank before.Yes you can do all an all male tank with Malawi's. You will have the most dominant male who will be the most colorful. You may get a little fin nipping (but you can really get that with any scenario). All male tanks are easy to take care of. You can keep aggression down by adding decor like rocks and plants to help break up the tank and give the fish different territory areas. Rock work is great too because it creates hiding spaces for the fish to get away if needed. Is there another fish you like other than peacocks? Labs are bright yellow and are nice and docile so they would go nice in that tank.

Sweety

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2012
SE Northumberland, UK
The tank works out at about 30g I think, I do quite like yellow labs & won't rule them out but most seem very dull around here & wonder if it's due to high inbreeding as everyone & their friends has them. As for peacocks I like the Auloncara Firefish, Protomelas Taiwan Reef, Aulonocara "Jacobfriebergi" tanzania, Aulonocara "Baenschi" benga sunshine, not sure if they would get along tho. I've read the firefish are calm or would any of the other peacocks be ok with some yellow labs & with the labs would a 1m & 3-4f be a good ratio.
The tank will get 2 rock piles ( 1 small & 1 large) & will have a few plants in as i've got a big java fern & some spare anubias nana

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
30 gallons is pretty small for a malawi tank much less an all male tank. You will need a minimum 55 gallon 4 foot tank. You may be able to keep one lab group as you stated but that's about it. Once they are full grown 4-6", they will be cramped. You have have no room for the peacocks. Even then I would not put labs with peacocks. The labs are too aggressive and will stress or kill the peacocks. You may be able to put 5 or 6 male juvenile peacocks at 2 inches in the 30, but in a few months they will need a much bigger tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store