125g stand

BamaFever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2014
United States
Well we just purchased a new house at the beginning of December and have finally gotten somewhat situated. I found a 125g tank on clearance at a local fish store for right at 300$ brand new and couldn't pass it up. They wanted 900 for stand + canopy which I just balked at. I've never been a much for carpentry/woodworking but figured now would be just as good a time as any. I went out and picked up a 10" ryobi miter and switched out the stock blade with a 60 tooth fine blade. Had a lot of other things to get done today, so will grab the lumber next week if things go well. if the stand build goes well, wife already has asked me to build us a new entertainment center :p

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You start a build thread.......never get tire of those DIY threads. GL

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
For what its worth, I bought a fine toothed blade for my circular saw, and it didn't really cut any better than the blade it came with. Cutting slowly and steadily is the only thing which really helped me get smoother cuts with no chips.

Are you looking for a set of plans to go off of, or do you already have it thought out in your head? Keep in mind for a NICE stand, you're probably looking at ~$200 of materials, maybe more if you go extra fancy.

I built the stand for my tank extra high. I have a 20" tall tank, and I build the stand 42" tall (most are 26-32" tall) and I really like it. Makes it much easier to look at the fish, you don't have to bend over. You have to do maintenance with a small step ladder, but that's no big deal to me. Built the stand out of 2X4's and its super sturdy, no worries with it at all. I would use lots of wood glue, in the long run it will hold together better than nails/screws and will keep the wood from shifting and creaking at the seams.

BamaFever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2014
United States
I plan to do a basic 2x4 stand with gorilla wood glue + wood screws + metal braces for added peace of mind. I'm not looking to go to fancy with it. Just some plywood on the sides and back and putting some doors on the front. As for plans, the one that I was going off of was Joey's that he has on youtube.

SpinalFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Durham Region, Ontario
You can build great things with cheap wood. Just takes more time. Look at my last build. Cost me like $60 including stain, hardware, and all trim. Sanded 2x4s can look as nice as premium if you pick the straight ones with no huge holes in the knots ;)

Best of luck with your first build. Can't wait to see it.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store