Is there ANY legal snakeheads in the U.S.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
My friend told me that there is a type of dwarf snakehead that is legal i think he called it a rainbow snakehead or something....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you'd like to keep a fish similar to a snakehead fish in the US, our own native prehistoric Amia calva (AKA bowfin, or dogfish, depending on where you're from) is a great alternative. It is often mistaken for a snakehead, and ranges from Canada to Texas, I have seen it in local lakes while snorkeling in Wisconsin. It is a predator similar to snake heads, and does not need a heater.
They do get large (over 40") so a large tank is needed.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep,closest you can legally get to a SH and it's a shame bowfin are not more appreciated in the hobby....or at least in the MFK community.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
That'd be a nice big tall glass of NOPE filled with NOPE cubes.

As others have mentioned, a bowfin is your best bet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
That'd be a nice big tall glass of NOPE filled with NOPE cubes.

As others have mentioned, a bowfin is your best bet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
And you could get quite a buzz on too much NOPE!

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Yep,closest you can legally get to a SH and it's a shame bowfin are not more appreciated in the hobby....or at least in the MFK community.
maybe because some SH have better looking and a bit more active than bowfin. But bowfin do have more freaky teeth.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
maybe because some SH have better looking and a bit more active than bowfin. But bowfin do have more freaky teeth.
Yeah but the fact remains that all of them are illegal here in the States.. I probably should have mentioned in my post that the bowfin should be more appreciated in the U.S,can't speak for other areas..Why worry about longing for what we can't have when an awesome native fish is being overlooked?

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Yeah but the fact remains that all of them are illegal here in the States.. I probably should have mentioned in my post that the bowfin should be more appreciated in the U.S,can't speak for other areas..Why worry about longing for what we can't have when an awesome native fish is being overlooked?
+1 The bowfin is your best bet, i think the bowfin is overlooked cause there arnt a wide variety of colors plus alot of people dont have a tank big enough to keep a 40in fish, i personally think their beautiful just wish i had a tank big enough!!!!

Still dont understand why some of the smaller Snakehead species aren't allowed, but that's a whole different Thread lol!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Still dont understand why some of the smaller Snakehead species aren't allowed, but that's a whole different Thread lol!
Simple: It is easier and far more effective to outlaw everything than to leave open the possibility for technicalities or feigned ignorance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store