12 WC Frontosa Mobas

dragonfish70

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
San Diego
Well I really broke the bank on this one:irked:. I just picked up another colony of 6 WC frontosa Mobas when I went up to LA yesterday. 1 male and 5 females all of which will be added to the other colony I bought 3 weeks ago, all are proven breeders. While I was picking these guys up he stripped two of the females which was holding for a couple of days and he had already been tumbling 3 batches of eggs from the different females. The male is a beast at 14"+ I believe no trailers as he was the beta and was picked on, he is bigger than the male I have in there with them which is 12". I am now a new proud owner of a total of 12 WC mobas in my 135 gallon with a ratio of 2 males and 10 females. I also changed the lights to Current USA LED plus lighting which is remote controlled and lighting can be altered, changed to a natural looking PFS (tan off white color w/ black peppering), and I did not install the 3D background, too much hassle to be honest. I really hope I get to keep these guys when I start college. I know I do have 2 months to enjoy them keeping my fingers cross in March when I will hear back from my colleges.

Questions:

Am I covered on filtration? Currently running 2 Fluval FX5 on this 135g. Thinking of adding 2 HOB emperor 400 for chemical filtration. 25% water change every week.

Should I be feeding more of an amount everytime I feed them (3x every other day) or just feed more frequently but the same amount?

How can I make this new male the alpha? How long should I seperate the previous male Moba and this new one? Should I just let them sort it out?

I think one of the females is already holding a small clutch of eggs should I strip her in 5 days to check?

The alpha male has only a little bit of a whiite spot on his left eye, Should I up the aqaurium salt dosage to get rid of that thing?

Tried my best on the pics. Yes my 135g and frontosa is directly infront of my bed
I will post a vid here pretty soon. INPUT IS APPRECIATED

maxumum2

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2011
kenosha WI
Imo I think you have to many for that size of a tank my males fight in my 240 and I have 2m 4f so the ratio is nowhere near as good as yours. I even had my friend hold the for a bit in his 900 and they still fought. I just think males don't do well together. By fighting I'm meaning open mouth battles and nipping at fins

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dragonfish70

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
San Diego
Imo I think you have to many for that size of a tank my males fight in my 240 and I have 2m 4f so the ratio is nowhere near as good as yours. I even had my friend hold the for a bit in his 900 and they still fought. I just think males don't do well together. By fighting I'm meaning open mouth battles and nipping at fins

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I really have no problem with aggression. The new Moba male and my alpha are just chillin. I think aggression is going to lessen day by day . Actually the introduction to this new male is making my alpha just look majestic. The most aggression I've had is probably between the females I think they are setting up their own division. I can really see who are the top 3 females. I am really not concerned about aggression more on my water chemistry. In my experience these Mobas are much more docile than my previous colony of Mpimbwes by A LOT. I am getting my water tested in my LFS today to see that everything is well. I really hope to start producing fry soon!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
"Am I covered on filtration? Currently running 2 Fluval FX5 on this 135g. Thinking of adding 2 HOB emperor 400 for chemical filtration. 25% water change every week."

You can add the 2 HOB's but I think you are fine with 2 FX5's. I would up the water changes to at least 50% every week though.

"Should I be feeding more of an amount everytime I feed them (3x every other day) or just feed more frequently but the same amount?"

I feed my large haps and peacocks 1x every other day and they are all healthy with no illnesses ever since I switched to every other day of feeding. It's up to you how much to feed but every other day is a good idea.

dragonfish70

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
San Diego
I think 50% is just wayyy too dramatic of a water change that's why I stick with more frequent but small amounts of Water changes. I have read so many articles of frontosa owners doing 40%-50% then their frontosas die. 25% is just a safe enough water change that is the water company did put something in the water my Mobas will just be stressed not dead.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Congrats ang good luck with them.
My Mobas are in a 180 with 2 FX5, water changes 50% every week and feed every other day and they breed about every 3 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store