Growing out a 3" silver with a 3" delhezi bichir. Dangerous?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
So I picked up a baby silver a week ago. Had him in a 20 long until this weekend when I set up a 40br (thank you $/gallon sale). I went by a LFS this morning and saw they has 2 baby delhezi's. Now we never get anything other than sen's locally, so I was pretty psyched. I was wondering if it would be ill-advised to pick one of the bichirs up and grow it out with the baby aro?

As always, input is appreciated.
- John

Tyler_180

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
California, U.S.
You will need a bigger tank fairly soon for that aro and it will grow faster than the delhezi, but they should be fine considering bichir will be at the bottom of tank mostly. But if you get ur aro on feeders or something he could possible look to any smaller fish as food. I personally would do it definately

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
No feeders, and I've got the aro eating pieces of freeze dried krill. The plan is to see if I can get the aro to around 12" in this tank then move him into the 180.

Right now I'm more worried about the bichir, who seems top have trouble finding food.

Thanks for the input though. Appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You will have to also feed something that will sink to the bottom for the del. , such as small pellet, small pieces of fish, frozen bloodworms .

thatrandomfishkeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I would just watch and see if there are any problems. Mine was aggro and killed one of my ropefish... :( just keep an eye out and you should be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would just watch and see if there are any problems. Mine was aggro and killed one of my ropefish... :( just keep an eye out and you should be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I agree, the aro will not tolerate the del. If it ventured into its territory at the top.

flip4EvR45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2013
U.S.A
My first advice-don't put your aro on feeders. It makes them much more aggressive. Second, like the others said. Just watch them :p

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
This combo should work. As far as with feeding the delhezi, use sinking pellets and try to drop em close to its head. Gotta use some floating and sinking food for this combo :)

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
I have a black Aro with a senegal and 2 Endi`s Np :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store