what is the best tank size, tankmates and filtration for bettas?

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
hey guys, i just bought a crowntail betta for my sister. he's currently in a fish bowl now, and am searching for a bigger tank for him. i have an empty 5g but i think im not gonna use it for the betta. i heard people said tht 10g is the best size for 1 betta, what do u guys say? has anyone ever kept their better in a <10gallons? also what is the best filtration for their tank? i know tht they dont like moving waters, so can a sponge filter do the job?
how about tankmates? i know about their highly aggressive behaviours, can get really messy especially with their own kind. are tankmates even possible for bettas? all i can think tht is tough enough to handle a betta are plecos. lol
btw, this is my sister's betta, Angelina. she named it after the fish tht has the voice role of Angelina Jolie in the movie Shark Tale. :ROFL:
IMG_5164.JPG
any suggestions is highly appreciated. :)

IMG_5164.JPG

Valous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Elkton,md
I have one in a 10 gal. I have a marineland slim 20 on it and the betta seems fine with the flow. He is currently housed with 3 Otto cats and a pair of corries. He chased for about an hr but gave up because he could not catch them.

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ive kept betta in many various tanks, I had a 12" cube that seemed about perfect size for him and ran a small hob filter with a sponge over the intake to save his long fins. I noticed mine was more active when I planted the tank and as far as tankmates, I wouldnt worry as much about the betta hurting other fish, but other fast fish can nip fins and even fast movement can stress them. Ive had luck with CPD, white clouds, ottos, pygmy cories, bristle nose plecos, snails, and especially different shrimp(yes they will eat small shrimplets especially bee shrimp and other very small ones) rams and apistos can be good tankmates if you have enough tank space. Avoid most tetras, especially neon or cardinals because ive seen them nip fins.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I have my betta in a 10 gallon. There is no filter running on it. He is about 2 years old now. He gets weekly 50% water changes and it keeps the ammonia and nitrite at zero. Only problem with not running a filter is the water develops a nasty slime coat haha.

The one I had before this one lived to be about 4 years old. Same process as this one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I have my betta in a 10 gallon. There is no filter running on it. He is about 2 years old now. He gets weekly 50% water changes and it keeps the ammonia and nitrite at zero. Only problem with not running a filter is the water develops a nasty slime coat haha.

The one I had before this one lived to be about 4 years old. Same process as this one.

4? wow. They only live typically 3 years. Good work!

oscarlover61898

Dr. Pickles
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2009
Ohio
bettas do very well in a tank of 10 gallons. a lot of times a bigger tank is too much for it. as far as filtration goes, i would suggest a sponge filter. good tankmates would be a snail or something like that, because a 10 gallon is too small for a community tank

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
You could put him in the 5 if you want but of course 10 would be even better. Make sure it has a heater. Sponge filter should be just fine :)
I keep mine in a 20g long with habrosus cories and a mystery snail. They all have different personalities though, have heard of some that won't even let a snail live in the same tank as them.

Here is my baby, I can't help but to show him :p He is a balloon CT.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/...Tank/fc7e3280-cdd0-4e5b-a14e-2708ee3226ca.jpg

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think a sponge filter would be best if you want a filter. I find that the outflow from hob filters is can be kinda strong for them. If they swim into the outflow the current takes them away because of their fins.
And as just mentioned, a heater is an absolute must.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
ours lives in our kitchen in a 1.5 gallon 7x7x7 inch nano tank, hob mini sponge filter and 50w heater... 'Niel' seems pretty happy in there, although alot of people will dissagree and say its not enough... if he was a full grown oscar that tank would be like a 6ftx6ftx6ft wouldnt it lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store