What heater to heat a 120g at 80'?

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I currently have 2 smaller wattage fluvals in my tank now and its constant at 76'. Im gonna start keeping discus and need to jack up the temp. I cover with screens not glass. What do you guys recommend in regards to quality and size (watts) for a 120 to maintain that temp?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
People are funny about heater recomendations, almost like a food debate.

I think two 250W heaters would do the trick. I use the Aquion Pros but there are other good ones out there Jeager is a good brand too and has 300W heters. I like using two heaters so if one fails I have back up. The other good thing about two heaters is they don't have to work as hard to maintane temp. Anything that will maintane the temp at around 82-84 degrees. I fully submerge them at a 45 degree angle. I usually figure about 4-5 watts per gallon works for me in my house. I set them with one at 82 and the other at 80 so one is off most of the time unless it gets really cold like today and the other just has to cycle to maintane temp. It works good for me.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
A single 300watt jager would work fine. A controller would be a good idea.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
A 300 watt Jager will be too tall to fit a 125gal. I bought a 250 watt Jager and thought that I would need a second heater to provide sufficient wattage to heat a 125 gal. To my surprise, a single 250 watt Jager is adequate to maintain the tank temperature at 76F at room temperature of no less than 65F. Apparently, Jager made efficient heaters that you don't need as much wattage as comparable brands require.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
A 300 watt Jager will be too tall to fit a 125gal. I bought a 250 watt Jager and thought that I would need a second heater to provide sufficient wattage to heat a 125 gal. To my surprise, a single 250 watt Jager is adequate to maintain the tank temperature at 76F at room temperature of no less than 65F. Apparently, Jager made efficient heaters that you don't need as much wattage as comparable brands require.
The 300W is 19" long, which would fit vertically in most 120G tanks (depends on dimensions, of course).

If you want to maintain constant 80+ temps you may want to consider insulating the back (and sides if you don't view through them). Not only will it keep the temperature more constant, it will also save electricity. Truthfully, if you insulate you shouldn't need to upgrade your heaters at all.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
The 300W is 19" long, which would fit vertically in most 120G tanks (depends on dimensions, of course).

If you want to maintain constant 80+ temps you may want to consider insulating the back (and sides if you don't view through them). Not only will it keep the temperature more constant, it will also save electricity. Truthfully, if you insulate you shouldn't need to upgrade your heaters at all.
Also get a glass top so its all covered and insulating better.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Also get a glass top so its all covered and insulating better.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
x10 - I missed the part about the screen tops. Covering the tops may halve the amount of heat you lose, as well as cut your evaporation dramatically.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I actually like the screen tops only for the humidifying reasons. I don't mind the evaporation. Its also a 4' 120g. I actually just checked my heaters...one is a 200 and the other a 300w. Im gonna set one at 82 and the other at 80 and see if it maintains. I may even have to increase due to discus requirements.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
in this case i would suggest getting a temperature controller to control the 2 heater simultaneously..
Will look into that, thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store