Fly rod help

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
So I've been into fly fishing for a few years now. My first rod was a fenwick 9wt 9' for throwing streamers for pike, I bought another rod a year ago wich was a sage 4wt 9' for small trout and arctic grayling. I'm looking for probably a 6 or 7 weight to do some decent trout fishing. Just not sure what brand to go with. My fenwick is ok but I probably wouldn't by another one. The sage is a beautiful rod but I don't want to spend that kind of money on my next rod. Any brands out there you guys would recomend for fly rods? Let me know what you think I should check out. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
North Haledon, New Jersey
I have a Redington Pursuit 5 weight rod. They're a lot cheaper than Sage, and I'd say they're quality rods for the price, although I've never used another rod, so I can't necessarily compare it to other rods. They have a bunch of different models to choose from, but they have a 6 weight for only $160. I love my rod and it certainly can handle trout, along with bass and other gamefish. I'd definitely recommend it.

xEchOx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2006
ND
I got a sage rod and reel for under 300 dollars (on clearance) this last fall at cabelas. It's a 9ft 8wt for steelhead/bass/pike. Solid rod with great flexibility.

If you can't find a sage, try St. Croix. I have a 8'6" 6wt St. Croix Imperial that I use for trout fishing. Awesome rod. Not as light as the sage, but good back bone, and good flexibility. I think the rod was 220?

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Check out Echo rods and their Carbon or Ion line. They're just north of me in Woodland, WA and they're a great mid range priced rod backed by an excellent warranty (just as good as Sage). Temple Fork Outfitters is an equivalent brand.

I also think a 6wt or 7wt may be a bit much for most trout, unless you're consistently getting 20"+ fish.

Edit: old original post.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I have a Sage FLi (now discontinued) 9 foot 5 weight that was only $350 canadian.

Sage has 'value' lines that are very good.

a "low end" sage is better than most manufacturer's high end offerings.

I would look at some of the lower priced Sage rods. the components are top notch for the money and the blanks are fantastic.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
that seems like a heavy rod for trout. For me a big part of fishing is the fight. I feel like you would just be dragging in a fish instead of fighting it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store