Schooling Fish Suggestions Please

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Hello, am hoping for some help on schooling fish.
I hope this is the right section.

The tank will be at a minimum 75g, but we are looking at a 125g, just waiting on the guy to get back with us on dimensions. The tank will be planted.

The stocking plan for the tank is:
Brown Ghost Knife (Apteronotus Leptorhynchus)
Leopard Ctenopoma (Ctenopoma Acutirostre)
Angelfish
Delhezi Bichir
Palmas Palmas Bichir
Palmas Buettikoferi Bichir

I had planned on 6 congo tetras, but they are expensive so I am trying to find as many other options as possible.

Here is my list so far of suggestions I've found and in parantheses my concerns on them:

Congo Tetras (Expensive)
Upside-down Catfish (Not sure on location in tank, possibly expensive, dad doesn't like)
Rainbowfish (Expensive and spook ctenopoma)
Denison/Torpedo Barb/Roseline Shark (Expensive and streamlined so possibly eaten by bichir, prefers subtropical)
Tiger Barb (May be eaten by bichir and likely nip angelfish)
Rosy Barb (Cant find accurate max size)
Silver Dollars (Eat plants)
Giant Danio (Streamlined so possibly eaten by bichir, possibly prefer subtropical temperature)
Gourami (Not schooling, but could be kept in a large group such as 1M:5F, could be nippy towards the angelfish, feelers could be nipped by bichir)

I know I am being very picky, and that is exactly why I am asking for some help.

HERE is my other thread if anyone feels like looking at that and possibly answering other questions I have with the stocking.

I very much appreciate and look forward to any responses! :)

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Roseline sharks or Rainbow fish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Roseline sharks are torpedo barbs, which are on the list, as well as rainbowfish. I have put in parantheses my concerns with them and would like other suggestions.

It seems you have a ctenopoma though, do you have rainbowfish in with it? If so, is that working well?

Thank you for such a quick response btw :) !

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Roselines are great. Quick enough to not get eaten most times but they also prefer subtropical.

I use Roselines in my 210.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Did not know they were subtropical, oopsie! Will edit that into my concerns.
They look quite lovely in your tank but not sure if you have bichirs? Maybe I am being paranoid but it seems all I hear about are bichirs eating something. ><

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
Roseline sharks are torpedo barbs, which are on the list, as well as rainbowfish. I have put in parantheses my concerns with them and would like other suggestions.

It seems you have a ctenopoma though, do you have rainbowfish in with it? If so, is that working well?

Thank you for such a quick response btw :) !
I don't have Rainbows right now. But I do keep Roselines with my Ctenopoma. There is no problems. The ctenopoma gets along with everything as long as it can't fit it its mouth.

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
I don't have Rainbows right now. But I do keep Roselines with my Ctenopoma. There is no problems. The ctenopoma gets along with everything as long as it can't fit it its mouth.

Glad that they don't bother him/her! This is a pain for me as I have to make sure the fish won't fit in the bichirs mouth, and won't bother the ctenopoma or other tankmates ><
Obviously if worse comes to worse we'll just have to pay more than we'd like but if I can avoid that then it'd be great.

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
Glad that they don't bother him/her! This is a pain for me as I have to make sure the fish won't fit in the bichirs mouth, and won't bother the ctenopoma or other tankmates ><
Obviously if worse comes to worse we'll just have to pay more than we'd like but if I can avoid that then it'd be great.
Its gonna be hard to find a schooling group. For a 125 or 75. That will do well with those Bichirs. I believe they will all get over a foot long. Silver Dollars might be a better chose. They are tough fish an their shape is not easily swallowed
I've got 2 Albino Bichirs in my 125 the largest is about 8". The Ctenopoma is 6", an all my Roselines are 4" no problems.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I dont have experience with all them but I have had great success with giant danios. They rarely leave the surface and a group of them means lots of eyes to alert the group if a birchir swims to the surface. I kept giant danios with a 12" black piranha successfully (until I went on vacation and he was very very hungry)

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Personally, I like a school of glass cats. They stay near the surface and away from the bichirs, but will eventually become bite sized.

Hatchet fish are edible sized, but will stay near the surface.
Tiger barbs, if kept in large groups. In large groups aggression is dealt out to establish dominance and social order. interspecies aggression occurs when tiger barbs are kept in too small of groups(in most cases)

Bala sharks?
large mollies can be attractive and fairly peaceful. Fry only become nutritious snacks
Emperor tetras can be a decent size and peaceful, but will eventually be snacks

Ideally, if you are only going to only go to a 125, you cant have too large of schooling fish, since you will ideally want at least 3-5. Given all of this, I would go with something cheap, since predation is not going to be eliminated easily. IMO your best bet will be the faster giant danios. They can spook fish with speed, but are quite peaceful and generally avoid predation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store