Is my Gator gar a big, giant, pansy?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I thought the gators were more likely to be aggressive, but mine looks like he's getting his *** handed to him by my Odoe. They are close to the same size, but the Tiger Pike totally dominates my gar; he chases him across the tank and nips at his lower fins. I'm worried my gar is going to be stressed to death soon. He's still eating, but no where near as much as he did the first week. Any idea's, or similar experiences?

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
they are aggressive, but they are not fighters. If they got pick on by the tail, they will just run. the odoe can kick his ass for now, but in the future he will kill that fish.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I guess I'll just keep bulking the gator then. I hope he can hold up to the stress.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Bad idea - Gars do NOT do well with stress - If the Odoe keeps nipping, that won't end well.

And, mine is the same - no aggression at all.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
They are just big eating machines and not aggressive. They won't do well under stress. In time that odo might become food.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
If hes still a pansy....hes nowhere near big or giant ;) ....he'll shred that odoe when he puts on some size. There pretty mild like most gar until 18" or so. Ive had em snap on tankmates sooner at 12-14" but most of mine played nice until 18-24". Ull wish he was a pansy the day u see him swimming around with one of ur other fish in its mouth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Haha! I'm sure I will. Right now I just want to make sure he survives. Any ideas for how to reduce the aggression? I know that May also be a question for the OC section, in regards to the Odoe. Perhaps there's some other sort of lightning rod I could put in the tank to take the aggression while the gar puts on some size.

As of now, I try to keep the water as clean as possible so he heals quickly after his encounters with the Odoe, and I feed them nightly. Other than that, I'm running out of ideas. The gar is too I big to be moved into my 120, and I'm not willing to risk putting him I my 144 with my ATF. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store