Preplanning Filtration Questions

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
A little place called C At Hell
Hello all,

I've spoken to some very knowledgeable folks on this site about Filtration, and have learned tons from them. However I'm not able to attain the standards that some of them have suggested, and that's why I'm coming here to ask the masses for advice on a possible setup for my planned DIY tank.

I'm in the preplanning stages of a build that'll be 8'L x 4'W x 2'T (roughly 480g) and have some questions that I'm just gonna throw out and see if I can get some help on these topics.

My plan is to have 2 bulkhead drains drilled 6" from the bottom of the tank, with PVC bringing the outlet of water underneath of the tank and into 2 55g tubs. These tubs will then feed into a T connector, which will be plumbed into a 4800gph pump that returns the clean water to a spray bar at the top of the tank.

My questions:
Bulkhead Drains -
1. Will 2 2" drain been enough flow to keep up with the pump? I've read that 2" PVC has 2400gph flow rate, and that would match up perfectly with the 4800gph pump
2. Will having the penetrations cut low in the tank wall cause issues with the structural support of the wall? I'll reinforce the aquarium wall, but don't want to cause issues.
3. Is there anyway to add an auto-shut off that will choke the drains if there's a power failure? I've seen some set ups that have PVC over the side of the tank, with holes drilled high in the piping to stop the suction of the water if the water level gets too low...but having the drains low in the tank, could cause problems.

Sumps -
1. Will the 2 55g troughs work for the amount of flow?
2. Would a single 75g tank work instead of the 2 sumps? I have a spare 75g glass tank that would be ideal to use.

Pump -1. Looking for any experience with the following pumps:
Danner Pro HY-Drive 4800 GPH Water Pump
http://www.marinedepot.com/Danner_P...ium_Pumps-Danner_Mfg.-DN1231-FIWPSBTO-vi.html

ReeFlo Super Dart/Snapper Gold Hybrid Pump
http://www.marinedepot.com/ReeFlo_E...Aquarium_Pumps-Reeflo-MM1125-FIWPEPOH-vi.html

Little Giant 566727 Wet Rotor Pump with 20-Feet Cord, 5500GPH
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-...TF8&qid=1389152668&sr=8-84&keywords=pond+pump

2. I'll be adding cichla to this tank, and am looking for a 10x turn over. Would it be easier to get 2 pumps that can equal the required flow rate?

3. Does anyone on MFK have suggestions for pumps that can achieve this flow? I've been told wLim pumps are great, I however cant afford this brand name pump right now.

Head & Flow -
The plumbing isn't 100% in the books, but I'm figuring on 2 45 degree connectors, 3 90 degree connectors, a tank that's 5' tall, and a spray bar.

I'm not entirely sure how best to calculate the reduction of flow based on the amount of Head caused by the plumbing.

Could I expect a 10% drop in flow because of this amount of Head?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very much a filtration newb, and the most filtration I've dealt with is an Fx5.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to suggestions.

Thank you

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
bump

Any feedback?

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I think, in my opinion, you should start off with a closed loop system to get started. After that's achieved, and tank is up and doing good, then screw around with overflows and sumps.

The low outlet would work great in a closed system and you won't have to worry about power outage.

There's a lot of different DIY overflows that can work for you. You just need to play around.

Remember, just my opinion.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

x HEAVYHITTER x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2012
Michigan
Has the tank been built already? I would do 1 large over flow box with 3 2" drains to be on the safe side much easier to over drain than not have enough drainage
Personally I like reefflo. I run a dart on my 250gal. I don't have experience with the others you listed.

If you fill the tank with the pumps off, and have a air hole to break the siphon from the returns you should not have a over fill problem. Especially if you have more than enough drainage.

Just my personal experience and opinion others might have better options.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
I think, in my opinion, you should start off with a closed loop system to get started. After that's achieved, and tank is up and doing good, then screw around with overflows and sumps.

The low outlet would work great in a closed system and you won't have to worry about power outage.

There's a lot of different DIY overflows that can work for you. You just need to play around.

Remember, just my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback, burbon44s.

I understand the concept of the closed loop system much better than sumps and overflows.

Do you know if anyone on here has created a closed loop system for a monster tank?

And would an external pump still make the system closed loop?

Has the tank been built already? I would do 1 large over flow box with 3 2" drains to be on the safe side much easier to over drain than not have enough drainage
Personally I like reefflo. I run a dart on my 250gal. I don't have experience with the others you listed.

If you fill the tank with the pumps off, and have a air hole to break the siphon from the returns you should not have a over fill problem. Especially if you have more than enough drainage.

Just my personal experience and opinion others might have better options.

Thanks for the feedback, HEAVYHITTER.

The tank hasn't been built yet, and I like the reeflo pumps too. Just don't like the $ amount for the gph I need.

The air hole system you're talking about will only work for a PVC system which reaches over the edge of the aquarium, right?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I'm running a 2900gph with a 2"drain under full siphon and have the drain closed quite a bit. For a tank that big I would look at a 125 for the sump. My 72x30x25 has 10g of water for every 1" of height so if it drains 3" in an outage I need 30g of space in the sump above running depth, you'll need roughly twice as much for your footprint. This is my first sump and I've only had it for a month but I love my laguna maxflo pump, efficient, affordable and dead silent. When I have the room for a tank you size I plan on getting an external overflow on the back (actually built in not hob with utube, google coast to coast external overflow) with 4 drains, 2 full siphon and 2 emergency so basically a double herbie.

x HEAVYHITTER x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2012
Michigan
Thanks for the feedback, HEAVYHITTER.

The tank hasn't been built yet, and I like the reeflo pumps too. Just don't like the $ amount for the gph I need.

The air hole system you're talking about will only work for a PVC system which reaches over the edge of the aquarium, right?
No problem

The air hole works by breaking siphon. It was even incorporated into the plumbing from the factory plumbimg of my marineland deep dimension tank. Even with returns that come up through overflow.
Also have you considered a rubbermaid stock tank as a sump? They are sturdy and are a ton cheaper than a glass or acrylic sump. Could leave you with more $$$ for a pump and more room for power outages. I almost went with one but my stand dimensions wouldn't allow it.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee

I understand the concept of the closed loop system much better than sumps and overflows.

Do you know if anyone on here has created a closed loop system for a monster tank?

Well, I run a closed loop and a sump on my 560.
Closed loop is a 4750 gph dolphin pump and an Ultima 11 4000 with a spray bar. And my sump is a 150 with filter pads and a refugium full of plants. The return is a mag7 and pond filter

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011

Well, I run a closed loop and a sump on my 560.
Closed loop is a 4750 gph dolphin pump and an Ultima 11 4000 with a spray bar. And my sump is a 150 with filter pads and a refugium full of plants. The return is a mag7 and pond filter

Thanks for the feedback.

I was pointed towards something similar to the Ultima glass filters, however they are far beyond my price range. I may be forced to try and come up with a closed sump system instead.

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
No problem

The air hole works by breaking siphon. It was even incorporated into the plumbing from the factory plumbimg of my marineland deep dimension tank. Even with returns that come up through overflow.
Also have you considered a rubbermaid stock tank as a sump? They are sturdy and are a ton cheaper than a glass or acrylic sump. Could leave you with more $$$ for a pump and more room for power outages. I almost went with one but my stand dimensions wouldn't allow it.

Yes I was looking into 2 55g Rubbermaid feeder troughs/stock tanks...and then have them drain into a T connector which is connected into the pump.

However, all of this tank about a closed loop system has my head spinning with how I can accomplish this as a DIY!

Never thought filtration would complicated with all of the different possibilities!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store