Arowana does not allow smaller one to eat.

AnkurLakhesh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
India
Dear All

I am Ankur Lakhesh from India and have recently bought 2 Silver Arowanas for the first time.

I am really enjoying these elegant creatures as a part of my home but am a bit concerned about their behavior.

One of my Arowana is around 11" and another one is about 10". They swim around the tank whole day and seem very friendly toward one another but while feeding, the bigger one becomes very aggressive and does not allow the smaller Arowana to eat. The smaller one gets forced into a corner while the bigger one eats and even after he is done eating, he does not allow the smaller one to come on surface for feeding.

I have read a lot of posts on this site and I am sure that the current tank (24 Gallons (US)) is not sufficient for them in longer run, I will be definitely upgrading to a 150 gallons tank in a few months (Waiting to move into my new apartment), but am not sure if this is the only reason for such aggression because for the entire day they keep swimming around with peace.

Please advise what can I do to keep them at peace till then.

Thanks in advance
Ankur Lakhesh

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Are you sure your current tank is only 24gal. That seems kind of small for those sized aros. What are the dimensions of the current tank?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
2 small aros could work in that tank, but I think feeding 2 aros of that size in those dimensions can't work once 1 of them feels king. I would separate if possible before damage is done

AnkurLakhesh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
India
hmmmm.... thanks for the response. but that does not feel possible as I do not have enough space for an additional tank :-(

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Better get rid of one. These fish grow on average 1.5 inches a month. The tank you have is already too small for one, let alone two. Also need to plan for bigger then a 150g tank. It will not be suffficient for an adult size arowana, which yours will be in less then a year.

AnkurLakhesh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
India
IMAG0181.jpg

The tank dimensions are 36 X 12 X 15 inches and comes around 28 Gallons.

What I have read on this site till now is that the tank size needs to be 3 times in length and around 1.5 or 2 times in width of the Arowana, so technically I think this tank is almost suitably sized as of today.... Please correct me if I am wrong..... I will be getting a new tank in 3-4 months time.... would love to get a new one tomorrow, but would be moving in 3 months time to a new house, and would need to shift the entire setup again which is pretty risky... (Indian road conditions).... also, what I have been told, for setting up a new tank we need to run a new tank for at least a couple of days before adding the fish.... So I will b stuck while shifting cos there wont be an interim arrangement available :-(

Again... I am new to this.... do let me know if my information is incorrect and suggest what can be done for this period of 3-4 months... may b adding any other fish to DISTRACT the bigger arowana or something else.....

IMAG0181.jpg

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
do not add another fish in the tank. it's small enough as it is.
there's not much you can do other than sell one or both, or get a bigger tank. having 2 arowanas together is already risky enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store