LFS rant its so hard to support

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
So heres a vent for the day. I dont order online and the only real good guy is an importer. Great supplier awesome selections and prices and a great guy 10/10. but he can't have everything in stock hes like a winners great everything but if you don't pick up now its gone forever and is a gamble on whats to come. The only other LFS that has stuff other then Salt based is the one by my house. He occasionally has different stuff. 95% of his stock is the same common thing every place and big corp has but at a much higher cost and they sit for months! So to my surprise he just got ornate bichirs! Yes i regret selling mine last year so I so happy! but I knew it would be over priced. I had a hard time selling mine for $50 and sold it for $40 and only paid $25 originally but that didn't matter too much. They were only 4-5" and pale but it was fine. Of course no price listed so He's the kind of guy to say a random price to take as much money from you as he can. he want $100!!!!!1 for little bichirs so i left SAD :( Hard to support local guys when they are so outrageous. Spencer is technically local but is really an online vendor i can drive too i guess i gotta stick to him so sad. I know you gotta make money but seriously!

girliefishlips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
North TX
Yea, I hate the places that won't list the prices on the tanks...and I quit asking a few years ago. It seems the places that don't list the prices were the ones I always felt (real or not) that they were just sizing me up and charging whatever outrageous price they thought they could get from me. I always spent a lot of time online browsing the fish sellers, so, I knew what most of the fish were typically priced at, so, I knew when I was being rooked. I still buy locally when I can, but, I'm not above buying online any more if I feel the lfs is excessively high. Personally, a lfs will make more from me by being honest and open about their pricing.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
+1 guys one of my lfs's is outrageously priced on some fish , last over priced things I saw there were 8" Oscars for £50 and a 6" jardini for £200 , insane prices for UK if you ask me I know jardini have gone up in price in ladt few years more than double in some cases but £200 is just insane , I got my first one six years ago for £35 , ive seen lots for sale recently for around £100 and managed to get myself a bargain at £60
I too am always weary of shops with no prices but I suppose they could be up for haggling it sometimes works out better if the price is not set , you just have to be real cheeky with offers you never know there could be a bargain to be had ;)

Kreeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
lansdale pa
Could be worse all i've got in reasonable distance is chain pet stores, under stocked (for my needs) and over priced. If it wern't for the internet...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
One particular shop I like to go to has decent prices and selection but piss poor customer service.I recently bought a few items and fish there and when I got to the counter I looked my fish over and decided not to get one of them.The cashier,who's name must have been Captain Obvious,said,"well the fish is already bagged and ready"to which I answered,"yeah I can see that but I don't see the problem with me changing my mind".She actually rolled her eyes and mumbled something under her breath as she rang up and bagged my items.That fish that I ended up not getting must have really ruined her day,and she didn't even catch and bag it.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
wow you're actually lucky to live in driving distance to Spencer. He imports some of the most exotic fish for the best prices.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
My closest LFS is very high in prices. $15 for a baby oscar (petsmart is like $5) but they do give good prices for trade-ins.

richkid

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
Penn's Woods
My lfs has prices on the tank but none are updated. He may have prices for fish that haven't been in the tank for weeks. He's usually a bit high but I don't usually order offline and for the convenience of getting what I want when I want it w no waiting or worrying I don't mind paying a few extra bucks. Sometimes though I get a good deal. He had a small salvini in a tank once marked for $8 a little expensive for a Juvie but a great price for a fully colored up adult. Well someone traded in a nice female and she went into the old Juvie tank. I asked about her and he had to sell it to me at the price written for sals on the tank. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389238259.515632.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1389238285.781861.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store