My "floating" planted boxes

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
I saw an idea on Reddit where someone turned acrylic boxes into plant containers with suction cups to stick to the walls of their tank. My 45g goldfish tank, lightly planted was rather boring and in need of height to the scape. I couldn't find clear acrylic boxes in town so I settled for the small food containers (used an exacto knife to trim the edges). Each plant is secured to a rock heavier than my largest goldie and each container has a little Flora Max substrate in it. The suction cups are the same ones I've used for the air lines and they stick like glue. I tried to pick plants they might eat as sort of a floating buffet although they haven't touched them yet. Here's the results: 1.jpg74KkI3N.jpgeSjh2w7.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpgXxEPgVM.jpg They love it!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

74KkI3N.jpg

eSjh2w7.jpg

XxEPgVM.jpg

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Very nice tank and creative way to add plants. Will be very useful when the plants grow you can just lower the boxes

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Great idea works a treat , it'll look even better when they grow a little and cover the boxes up more :)

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
Very nice tank and creative way to add plants. Will be very useful when the plants grow you can just lower the boxes
Thanks!
Great idea works a treat , it'll look even better when they grow a little and cover the boxes up more :)
Yeah; I may order some acrylic boxes and/or silicone decorative stones all over them to make them look better. Hard to beat the current boxes at 8/$1 though! Hopefully between these plants growing and future additions I will end up with a solid wall of plant matter!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
This idea has plenty of potential. Thanks for sharing.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Very cool. I've never seend anything like that before. Very clean looking tank too.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Loving that tablecloth!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Update? How do the plants look?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
I really like the look of your tank, I especially like how the clay pots look in that pile. Very cool. I considered doing the same thing with hanging pots on the back wall of one of my tanks. Maybe, one day, it will happen. Very nice job on your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store