Southern Delight Fish Foods?

Eyebedam

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
Makin a Poo
So who all is using this & what kind of results if any are you seeing from it? I've been thinking about adding it to my rotation of foods to add with my variety I'm already feeding.. I almost picked some up today but hated spending 18.00 for something just to try it out.
here's a list of what I'm currently using.

Pellet types
Massivore
NLS pellets
4 bit blend from Kensfish
Slow sinking growth pellet from kensfish

Flakes
spirulina max from kensfish
earthworm flake from kensfish

i also use a variety of frozen cubes from my LFS.
bloodworms, brine & mysis shrimp,

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
I recently ordered two containers of the powerfeed for for RTMs. Typically at first they refused to eat it as it was a new food, and they were used to dainichi xl pro. As I ran out of the xl pro, they slowly warmed up to the southern delight. They attack the grow pellet, and pick at the lipid pellet. Some ppl swear by it, but I think the RTMs had brighter colors just eating the dainichi. I also tried to give it to my 6" male cuban. He smashed it for about a month and then lost interest and refused to eat it one day. The food is def. worth a try though, if your into trying out new foods like I am :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Some discussions already on this:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...7-Southern-Delight&highlight=southern+delight
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?444945-New-Food&highlight=southern+delight

I will start with the fact that I mix different pellets. This is my choice and I know some say it is not the 'ideal' method but my fish are thriving and I am happy with the overall results. I use NLS, Dainichi, Hikari, Omega One and Ocean Nutrition pellets in my current mix of foods.

I got some samples of Southern Delight, specifically the Large Cichlid, Powerfeed and Growth and my fish did not reject it at all. This is likely due to the fact I typically mix foods and they have learned to eat everything. One thing I liked about it was that it was a clean pellet. It did leave a little surface slick but did not powder up when the fish ate it. Some foods my fish just love to grind up and make a big mess with but they swallowed these whole and did not make a mess even with the large cichlid pellets. I noticed too that I did not have as much of the 'bath tub' ring effect from feeding these as I did my normal mix. When I did my gravel vac/water changes it seemed waste output was reduced and I was not noticing a huge amount of red colored waste as I had been seeing before. These were just my observations from using the food exclusive for ten days. I liked what I had seen from its use and have added it to my current mix and decided to purchase some bulk pellets to continue to use.

Just for the record, I do three water changes with gravel vac per week and this is always consistent, so I know what to expect with my cleanings. I also measure out my food and put them in pill containers so the fish receive a consistent amount of food each day at the same time. I think I did a realistic test of the food and to be truthful because it was new I fed a bit heavy handed compared to my normal food mix. I would throw some in as a treat more often than my normal feeding. If I were going to have issues it would have presented itself more quickly.

I hate these forum posts on food because they turn into ugly debates. I kind of like the fact the guys at Southern delight are starting off with kind of a quiet start. No strange 'snake oil' claims of what the food can do. Just my thought on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store