New Member! Giant Danio Question

belltold12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
Belmont, CA
Hey all!,

I wanted to introduce myself as all the headers suggest but I can't seem to find the introductions forum.

I'm from CA just south of San Francisco and I am finally getting around to putting together my first bigger tank (75g). I've had 10g, 20g, and 40g in the past at various times but now I finally have some space to get some "monsters" going. Still working out exactly how I want to stock but it will probably involve a school of giant danios.

My question is in regards to the two different color strains that seem to be available, the regular and the gold. Will either recognize themselves as the same fish? I was thinking it would look neat to have a large school of the regular with 1 of the golds thrown in to stand out of the crowd but was curious if would still school with the rest of the group. Wouldn't want the gold one to be left out and not thrive.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the abundance of help I'm sure I'll receive as my project unfolds.

Breezyod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
South Carolina
Sounds pretty cool but after hearing what some people would suggest you are not going to know what you want haha. There are so many options. I personally am looking at setting up my 90gallon that I have not been able to for so long because of money issues and I want to switch my Green Terror and Jack Dempsey to it so they can have some room to really move around. But I don't know how much you have looked around you could do stuff like Jacks, Terrors, Sevs I believe not sure. I can't even think of everything so many options explore the site and you will find some amazing looking fish that you will end up wanting to keep.

Kreeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
lansdale pa
Giant Danios are neat critters, I've had a few in my life. They can be nippy to other fish I've seen 'em pick tricolor sharks and minnows apart, it can be a balanceing act to keep something small enough to not eat them and big enough to discourage agression. I had 8 in a 75gal with an African Brown Knife and they were fine together but ABKs are hearty fish.

belltold12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
Belmont, CA
So far I'm leaning towards a pair of severums as the "main event" if you will. Then I want the school of danios and maybe 3 or 4 pictus cats.

If I don't go with the sevs I'm thinking nicaraguensis or maybe cupids (if I can find them) or some other "peaceful" new world cichlid.

Cry Havoc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Utah
I don't know the answer to your question, but I've wondered the same thing about the different varieties of tiger barbs. Hopefully someone who knows will give some input.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I think it depends on how one grew up. If it was around only of it's kind then it may not accept others but if it grew up in a mixed group, it shouldn't matter...kind of like a baby chick. However since their body shape is the same...they may go by that.

belltold12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
Belmont, CA
I guess next time I'm at the LFS I'll look and see if they keep them in the same tank together. I actually had the idea while I was looking at stuff in PetSmart where they are in separate tanks. I could always just try it and see what happens and worst case scenario I have to go back and buy a few more gold ones.

Now I just need my holiday bonus to arrive so I can go finish building my set-up!

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Fish readily hybridize all the time. They are still the same species, so I dont see why they wont still school. Ive seen plenty of schooling fish, that when kept alone simply joined another species group. Ive had neons school with cherry barbs, and serpaes school with buenos aires tetras.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Pretty sure they will all school regardless as previously mentioned. I had my giant danio's school with themselves, with neons/cardinals, with red eye tetra's and with bala's all in the same tank. 3 species I've seen and know of is regular ole giant danio, pearl, and gold.

Be weary though, they are a very fast fish. You basically need to overfeed them to feed your other fish. I had them with my denison's and my danio's would school with them, but when it came to feeding, my god my danio's were fat and my denison's were normal. By no means are denison barbs slow either.

As far as having a main event, have you considered a pair of german blue rams? Pictus would be a great thing in that tank. The only thing I could think of to make it a bit better would be a small shoal of corydora's. Only issue is size because if the cories are too small then the pictus will pick at them, so getting smaller pictus with decent size cories should solve it. Feeding at opposite ends at the same time so that both cories and pictus get well fed. As the pictus's will be like the danio's and be food grubbing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store