Indo Datnoid color?

DEVIANT NATION

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
USA
Why is my Indo Datnoid this color? This is probably the most of the black lines I have seen of this guy. He can go almost all dark when freaked out but most of the time he looks like this. I have never seen a full bar go black on it. He is the king of the tank though. 3 other datnoids 1 just a little smaller than him that is almost always all dark unless he has a piece of food in his mouth, and 2 others that are the smallest ones and one of them always looks stable unless this one is pestering him and the other small one looks almost just like this one. I have read a bunch on the stability but most seem to just mention striped stable or dark unstable. But can't find pictures of one that looks like this. I am confused.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's just another form of being unstable..no need for me to go into why it is that way since you already said it is the dominant fish so who knows lol.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Unfortunately my 4 smaller indo dats are like this the whole ime. I have one indo hat is around " who has darker stripes but the yellow base colour is not strong. It's a stability thing and i wish they would be more stable. Not sure how to get them more stable though? The only time they colour up is when main lights go out and only blue moon light is on. I hope with growth and age they will become more stable during the day?

DEVIANT NATION

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
USA
Unfortunately my 4 smaller indo dats are like this the whole ime. I have one indo hat is around " who has darker stripes but the yellow base colour is not strong. It's a stability thing and i wish they would be more stable. Not sure how to get them more stable though? The only time they colour up is when main lights go out and only blue moon light is on. I hope with growth and age they will become more stable during the day?
You know I have noticed that too that when my lights go off a couple of the smaller ones do get better colors sometimes. The big one stays the same though. But I also have noticed if I go into the room later at night and turn a light on in the room they all seem to be doing a lot of chasing each other around and sparing during the night. Don't know if this is normal activity or how to prevent it or what. These are awesome fish but sure seems like there is no rhyme or reason to how different each one can be.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I have a. 4in one that I bad to temporarily move from my 110 gal to a 30. He was also colored in the 110 perfectly and never in the 30. It maybe be a result of how much they feel they can move and have space to "escape".

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
There is no answer as to how to make your Datnoids stable. IMO when a tiger is by themselves, they will be stable. When kept in groups is when stability is a problem.

DEVIANT NATION

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
USA
There is no answer as to how to make your Datnoids stable. IMO when a tiger is by themselves, they will be stable. When kept in groups is when stability is a problem.

This makes me curious. I think I am going to pull this Tiger out and put him in my 55 gallon all by himself for a few days to see what happens. I am curious to see if his color changes then and what the other 3 will act like without him in there.

One question though. Do you have to worry about Datnoids jumping??? My 55 Gallon doesn't have a lid on it.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Not typically, no. But I do know of someone who had an ST jump out of his tank a few years back. It shouldn't be an issue though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store