Strange fishes seen in local Florida canal...

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I've seen many types of exotics, but none like these.....I've seen at least four different ones. Maybe six. (They all are slightly differently marked.) They are some sort of CICHLID. The bodies are pure white. They are very easily seen in the murky canal water. They are all over 10" long and thick bodied. The wild part is that they have orange spots just like a KOI. Some have two shades of orange markings, much like a KOI. I'd say that they are Midas except for the fact that they all have very big lips..Like a Talapia? I own a Midas/Flowerhorn that is white with orange, but has a rounded face. These are BEAUTIFUL!! So far I've been unable to catch one with a cast net or other means. This is a canal that winds its way into a large lake. Any guesses untill I get one, or at least a good photo of one?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Feral Amplilophus Labiatus? Maybe.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Sounds like Midas Cichlids but it's possible that its just a tilapia with odd colors. You can find pink tilapia or white tilapia or even koi colored tilapia in these canals.

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
I've seen and caught Midas down there almost pure white.. If not a Midas it sounds like white tilapia which can be orange to. Theses are farmed quite heavy in Florida but you need a permit to possess them so it's not surprising they would be in canals

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I saw one yesterday, but in deeper water and I wasn't able to take a pic. (Also, I'm shooting through a fence.) There is a local kid always fishing there. I've put a $10 bounty if he takes one alive for me...He says they never bite. I've got an air stone/pump and a bucket here at work on standby. There are dozens of Mayan cichlids that have built nests along the banks. I think they're keeping the white and orange fishes away from the edges. By looking at the photos, I must concur that they are BIG LIPPED MIDAS or TALAPIA. It makes sense. There are BLUE TALAPIA around here. I didn't know that talapia could be koi marked. These fish are stunning. Every now and again, I've gotten a good look at them. They are deffinately out of the ordinary.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Whlie I'm not discounting the possibility they could be Talapia, I'm more inclined to think they are a feral populatiom of A. labiatus. The color and lip discription fits more closly in my estamation. Not Midas (Amphilophus citronellus) but Red Devils (Amphilophus labiatus). It will be interestiong to get a pic for proper ID. Looks like you have your own UFO (Unidentified Fishy Object) hunt going on. Good luck with getting an ID.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store