Who wants to get in the water with SHARKS!?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
You guys know me and sharks. Haha.

I've been helping out a shark interaction program for the public down at Theater of the Sea (Islamorda, Florida Keys).
It's a great opertunity to get up close and personal with sharks in a very safe and controlled environment. These young nurse sharks are part of an enrichment program that allows you to sit in the water, have them swimming around you, laying in your lap, and even have the chance to feed the muscles while they eat. They live in a natural lagoon that has been set up to allow easy access for people. You get to learn about the biology of the animals, talk one on one with the keepers and see what sharks are all about. TOTS also offers a stingray program in the lagoon next to the sharks. It's home to both Southern stingrays and Cownose stingrays.

This is a quick video showing what the programs are like. If any of you live in the area or down for a vacation, I highly suggest checking this out. It's a very unique program and not something most places can offer you. What can be more "Monsterfish" than getting in the water with the animals!?

(Oh, and if you're more into mammals, they also have swim with the dolphins and sea lions as well.)

And just to be clear, I make no money from this. It's been a blast helping them out, and I'm really excited to see the program come this far. I wish more places would offer the chance to be interactive with animals that you don't normally get to see this closely.

[YT]iIzL1hMWMeM&list=UUepGsRxQJh4iN-hIcUD3FHw[/YT]

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'd be down for it.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Keep them well fed and they should not snack on the guests, :confused:

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I didn't know Nurse sharks were being targeted. I don't like this idea why do we need to interact with Nurse sharks. Seems like just another form of entertainment to make money. Next they'll train them to balance a ball on there nose.
If you want to learn about race cars, seeing it on TV and being in the pits for an actual race are two very different experiences. Programs like this put people in a situation to see up close what these animals are all about. It's for the same reason we keep fish in tanks - Education, passion, enriching the lives of both us and the animals. Exposure to things like this allow the general public to fall in love with these animals. People need to be made aware of the facts when dealing with sharks. Let's face it, 'Shark Week' is dropping the ball. It's been shown that sharks who are engaged in situations where they have to think and process information thrive while under human care. It's also a great tool to have when caring for large animals. A predator like this that has a working relationship with the care giver are much easier to provide proper care for (ie: routine medical exams, health assesments and ready for medical treatment as needed).

There is nothing here about making them perform or do tricks. In fact, no park in the US forces animals to participate in operant conditioning. Animals can opt not to. Nothing bad ever happens to them for not being a part of the intereactions. They still get all of their food, medical care, proper housing etc. Operant conditioning is designed to bond with the animals and be able to provide the best care possible.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
no park in the US forces animals to participate in operant conditioning. that's a pretty bold claim. do you really believe that?

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
I didn't know Nurse sharks were being targeted. I don't like this idea why do we need to interact with Nurse sharks. Seems like just another form of entertainment to make money. Next they'll train them to balance a ball on there nose.
Thats a pretty ignorant statement.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store