Impeller Damage

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
My impeller on the MP 24 was pretty noisy the last several months (as if they can get any louder;) ) so I finally got around to tearing the pump open and found this. Was curious
as to what others opinion is that caused it. I am assuming a piece of debris got in there.

Your thoughts?

IMAG2858[1].jpg

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
neat. I've never had one split like that. from the pattern of the crack, and the horizontal wear, I'll guess it overheated and split. no real idea though.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
IGA- intergranular attack on the metal. In other words, corrosion, rust.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
IGA- intergranular attack on the metal. In other words, corrosion, rust.
Really, after only 2 years. Is this typical of all brands or should I upgrade to a different brand?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Could have been a defect in the magnetic material or from cavitation caused by debris.
Can you have Cavitation with the pump running wide open. I was under the impression cavitation occurred when you throttled down the return. Debris could be a cause as you see the gouge marks on the magnetic material as if some debris was caught in with the impeller. Thus I have put a sponger on the inflow with the new impeller.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are many things that cause cavitation, debris, snails, broken snail shells, 1 grain of sand in the perfect position to cause the impeller to wobble and wear.
I had this same kind of wear on a Mag Drive 24 after about 5 years, you have to make sure the wear has not also worn a groove in the casing or the volute, if not, a new impeller is worth getting.

Note the almost figure 8 wear inside the casing above , where the impeller wobbled in this mag 5 and eroded the casing away .

above the skin on the impeller was peeled away, probably from sand.
I tried play sand years ago, and I believe it got into both of the damaged parts above.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
If you get debris in your impeller, cavitation can occur. The magnet will not spin true. Any time your pump makes unusual noises, you should check for debris in the impeller.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Gotcha, I have some minor damage to the inside of the slot where the impeller slides which leads me to believe it was from debris. I am looking to get a new pump soon so just got an impeller for the time being to hold me over.
Not sure where the volute is though. Is it the slot where the impeller slides in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store