Aquaponics/tropical fish farm in Wi

maxumum2

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2011
kenosha WI
I just wanted to put this out there my dad and I are planning to start an aquaponic farm. I brought up the idea of tropical fish it seems like it hasn't been done befor. He seemed to like the idea so were going to move forward. I wanted to see what people thought if there was any fish they think would do good, really anything. I will update as we make progress on the build of tanks the plumbing and the plant beds.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

maxumum2

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2011
kenosha WI
That is the normal but that is normally for food fish and my thoughts are more the ornamental fish. I'm thinking were going to start with assorted African cichlids. if that woorks good I'm planning on running some oddballs and higher end fish and get some breeding going.so far I'm thinking there is going to be 6-8 15'x2'x2' tanks.

maxumum2

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2011
kenosha WI
Both heating and cooling Wi get hot summers and cold winters. Were planning on running a wood burning boiler and cycle that thew the tanks (some how) haven't figured that out yet and the cooling were going to run a drip off his well.

maxumum2

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2011
kenosha WI
Also the tanks are going to be in insulated room in his barn I'm working with a 41'x11'x8' room that will have 2" foam all around it

cjbarth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2009
WI
with the boiler, you are going to have to set up a tank as your filter to get heated water from your filtertank(basically a sump) back to the tanks...I am using a heating system involving my hot water heater that works pretty well..you just need an electronic temp controller from Ranco(think the model is ETC-1000, and hydronic heating pump(like a red Bell and Gosset pump), can be bought at menards, pool and spa heat exchanger with enough BTU output to heat your tanks to desired temp, and another pump to pump your tank water to the heater...the bell and gosset pump will turn on when the elec temp controller tells it to..it will draw hot water from the boiler to the heat exchanger to heat up the water coming from the pump in your sump filter

If you have any questions on how this all works, just send me a message and I will give you my number and I will try to answer your ..I live in WI too!!!

~Chris

cjbarth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2009
WI
these is another way also..send me a message sometime and we can talk about it..my system works for me because I run a central filtration system for multiple tanks, but there are other ways to use that Boiler

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
I have seen african cichlids used before on a aquaponic system massive koi also, so it can all be done quite well. I was reading yesterday about a guy using yabbies and no fish, its was a much smaller system but still worked!!

Only issue I could see with Africans is the water quality maybe could effect plants?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store