Ray gender mix for 600 gal

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Hey guys. What would your gender mix be for 6 rays in a 600 gal tank. Not really sure what to go with. Can you keep 6 males to gather with no issues. Probably hey? What about 2 males 4 females? How much fighting would there be? I've really only had pairs or trios together so I haven't witnessed the male fighting scenario I've read about. Any advice from you experts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
Should be fine in that size tank . I have done that exact mix before

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
I got a 600 gal with 2 females and 6 males bit they are all under 12" but I'm thinking of just going with 3 males and 3 females soon to try to avoid any potential problems and overcrowding

FCCM15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Toronto
most of time female would grow bigger than male, either you keep 6males, otherwise they will breed. Always keep more female than male.

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
Why would u say to keep more female than male is that to keep fighting to a minimal and what about keeping the ratio the same 3 m and 3 f or would u say 2 m and 4 f

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Defintly more females to males...4 females and two males probably best.It distributes the male's aggression.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
4 females and 2 males would be the best ratio but 6 rays will be very crowded once they get big. It also depends on the males. I have to keep males solo because my dominant male is a homofobe

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Thanks everyone. Just gonna go with four in this tank as they are 12 inch. May try 2 males and 2 females see how it goes. Can always move a male out and put another female in. Thanks for the help. Never witnessed the male fighting yet and don't really want too but gonna try and see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store