Filter set up

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
My friend recently acquired a 125 for his oscar, blood parrot and common pleco.
He has an aqua top four stage canister and emperor 400.
What is the best way to set the filters up so he gets the most from them.
I was thinking of stuffing the 400 with as much bio media as possible and setting up the canister with fine poly fiber and more bio media.

Comments? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I'd stuff the canister full of bio media and let the hob do the polishing; adding a few pothos stems in the hob wouldn't hurt either :)

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I'd stuff the canister full of bio media and let the hob do the polishing; adding a few pothos stems in the hob wouldn't hurt either :)
I was thinking the bb would better thrive in the hob because it gets more oxygen... Or am I completely wrong there.

Your avatar is crazy haha

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I was thinking the bb would better thrive in the hob because it gets more oxygen... Or am I completely wrong there.

Your avatar is crazy haha
Lol, yeah; you gotta love Mega Shark...

As far as the bb question, I do not believe you are completely wrong but I do believe the oxygen exchange in a canister filter is more than sufficient as long as the filter is running or open for general maintenance. The only real reason you'd ever need to worry about exposing bb to air is in a wet/dry setup.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Lol, yeah; you gotta love Mega Shark...

As far as the bb question, I do not believe you are completely wrong but I do believe the oxygen exchange in a canister filter is more than sufficient as long as the filter is running or open for general maintenance. The only real reason you'd ever need to worry about exposing bb to air is in a wet/dry setup.
To be quite honest... The canister will probably see a month AT LEAST between maintenance. But that is good to hear. I'll prolly stuff the 400 with filter floss then put the rest in the canister. That canister is a tank after all.

And what is mega shark?

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
To be quite honest... The canister will probably see a month AT LEAST between maintenance. But that is good to hear. I'll prolly stuff the 400 with filter floss then put the rest in the canister. That canister is a tank after all.

And what is mega shark?

No worries on maintenance, my large tank runs on 2 cans and I only clean them every few months, lol. As long as your parameters stay in check and you don't let too much crud build up then you should be ok.

Mega shark is the movie that I got my Avatar .gif from.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Agree. You'd more likely to get more O2 if you were set up as a wet/dry system. But, your bio media in the hob would be under water anyways, so it would be exposed to just about the same amount of O2 as water running thru canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store