Canister filter for UV

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I'm setting up a new living room tank And will be running a Turbo-twist 36w UV. I want to run it off of a smaller canister filter. I will also be running an FX6, but the fx6 flow rate is to fast for the UV to be affective. And ideas on a good canister that would put me in the target flowrate when full of media?

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
What's the actual gph recommendation for a 36w uv? I'm thinking like an XP3 which is close to 200 gph

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
There is some chart pacumom(I believe) always posts that is amazingly helpful. I think the target gph for the for the 36w to be most affective is 200-250gph I believe. I can't seem to find that chart anywhere.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
That's looks perfect alex, but does anyone have any experience with them and inline accessories? I know some filters handle them perfectly and some malfunction or leak due to added pressure from running heaters or UVs inline. I'm trying to find the one that will give me the least trouble.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I use a sun sun on my 125 with the built in UV. No problems witht he filter itself. As far as the added pressure- the hoses are stiff and basically a knock off of the Eheim hoses so I can't imagine the UV being a problem. When I did run an external UV, I installed a u bracket to secure it against the wall to alleviate any pressure.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
The leaks comes from built up water pressure in the unit typically causing an Oring to fail. The UV unit will be mounted inside my stand so the hosing won't be an issue.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I have an FX5 hooked up to a 36w TurboTwist but do it only for keeping down on green water which it does just fine. My TurboTwist started leaking after about 3 months of use due to one of the barbed screw on connectors developing a small hairline crack in the hard plastic. I just ended up gluing it on permanently and zero problems. I was considering changing out to a smaller filter to reduce the flow myself and was looking at maybe the Fluval 406 or maybe an Eheim 2217.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store