water storage / quality

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Just sent an e-mail to and tried to phone a friend living in Charleston WV USA. So far have not gotten thru. It seems that a coal processing plant has contaminated the local water supply along the Elk River. People are not to consume or touch the water for any use.

This caused me to think about my practice of storing water for water changes. At any time I have 25 or more gallons of clean water on hand. That might keep me going for a good while. I also have the water in the tanks which could be filtered and boiled.

I understand this spill is likely to be taken care of in time. It makes me curious about the quality of water supplies. When I lived in Harlan County KY USA the water wells near my home were contaminated by a company dumping chemicals on the ground within 50 yards of the Cumberland River. I was in my twenties and the night manager of a drive-in movie theater. The owner of the theater and I walked onto the property next door to look at the spot where the chemical was being dumped. We did not understand all the implications. About 20 years later the company was shut down and the area became a federal clean up site. City water was piped to the small community and the wells abandoned. I was told my well was not affected but hooked up to the city water as the pipe line ran by my place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store