baby arowana wont eat.... help????

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
hey guys i have an arowana that is just about 4 1/2 inches no yolk sack looks like it has not had one for a while i got it yesterday its in a 10 gallon tank i need tips guys and please answer all my questions not just one pleaseeeeee....

ok i need to know what an arowana this small eats i tried frozen krill, freeze dried krill, pellets this arowana dont want nothing i dont want it to starve pleasse help!!!!!

i also want to know how fast this arowana will grow?

nd any tips u guys can give me would be greatly appreciated thanks :confused::eek:;):(:grinno::naughty::screwy::cry::WHOA::headbang2:nilly:

AND THE AROWANA IS A SILVER AROWANA just making sure u read all my questions before u answer

harleyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
saskatoon sk. canada
Okay take a breath so needs time to settle in but try frozen blood worms And small crickets. I have lost a silver aro because it would not eat. Growth hope you have more than a ten gal. A 55 will last you a few months if all go's well it will be 12" in no time. they grow pretty quick IMO. Then your going to need 180 and up from there. Could hit 36". Forgot if you had any more questions haha good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
Okay take a breath so needs time to settle in but try frozen blood worms And small crickets. I have lost a silver aro because it would not eat. Growth hope you have more than a ten gal. A 55 will last you a few months if all go's well it will be 12" in no time. they grow pretty quick IMO. Then your going to need 180 and up from there. Could hit 36". Forgot if you had any more questions haha good luck

ok thank u very much ill try crickets and blood worms thanks! i hope i dont lose it :(

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Never had a baby aro that would refuse freeze dried blood worms. Best thing is they float for quite awhile giving timid arowana ample time to eat. Once eating the blood worms add broken up pellets, makes the conversion to pellets very simple. Crickets are great, but only as an occassional snack.

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
When I had a small aro like yours and it wouldn't eat either. Tried everything but he would just look at it. I was also trying to get him to eat non-live foods so he would be healthier with pellets, sticks, etc.... One day I decided to try small mealworms. He ate them like a champ so I bought more and gut-loaded the mealworms. Then I slowly introduced floating sticks and pellets. Took a while but now he eats everything. Keep trying until he eats something and then take you time and go from there. Good luck and keep us updated, Ed;

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Freeze dried krill whole may be to big for baby Aro, try freeze dried mysis shrimp along with other foods members have suggested .:)

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
Never had a baby aro that would refuse freeze dried blood worms. Best thing is they float for quite awhile giving timid arowana ample time to eat. Once eating the blood worms add broken up pellets, makes the conversion to pellets very simple. Crickets are great, but only as an occassional snack.

GUYS THE ARROW IS LIKE TRYING EVERYTHING this morning i put in freeze dried krill he would put it in his mouth and spit it out he wont swallow, i tried flakes HE EVEN TOOK THE FLAKES but he didnt swallow them he only spit it out, i tried frozen krill from my freezer and he tried that to but spit it out, looks like he keeps spitting out food like if he dont know how to swallow any help???

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I like crickets for early aro growth (& adult growth). Get small crickets, if not cut the belly part of the large crickets off and feed that only. The head part of the large crickets can be tough for small aros to eat. Most of what aros eat in the wild are insects and its in their blood to crave them. Nothing grows out aros better imo. Once the aro gets large, you can buy the crickets in bulk, gutload them and then freeze them in bags. This is nice so you don't have thousands of crickets chirping and sometimes escaping in your house.lol

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
I like crickets for early aro growth (& adult growth). Get small crickets, if not cut the belly part of the large crickets off and feed that only. The head part of the large crickets can be tough for small aros to eat. Most of what aros eat in the wild are insects and its in their blood to crave them. Nothing grows out aros better imo. Once the aro gets large, you can buy the crickets in bulk, gutload them and then freeze them in bags. This is nice so you don't have thousands of crickets chirping and sometimes escaping in your house.lol
ok ill keep tha in mind but caN ANYONE TELL ME WHY THE AROWANA PUTS THINGS IN ITS MOUTH AND SPITS IT BACK OUT?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Cause FDK, frozen krill and flake foods are not favorites of aros. Just cause other species might mop these foods up like it's their last meal, doesn't mean all fish will. If you want his belly to fill up, feed the young fragile aro what he wants to put some weight on him. You have a lifetime to worry about converting to foods you would like him to eat once he passes this fragile stage

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store