What to do? Heavily planted, high pH 20g long

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
So I tried setting up a 20g for sulawesi cardinal shrimp, and I think I've managed to kill them all. Not really sure what went wrong, as all the parameters were spot on as I understand it, but maybe the tank was too new for them.

Anyway, those shrimp are somewhat expensive and I'm not sure if it makes sense to try them again.

So now I've got a heavily planted 20g long with large spotted sulawesi rabbit snails in it and a MTS infestation. Lots of algae growth in the tank. PH is at around 8, and is stabilized by a canister filter filled up mostly with crushed coral.

What should I put in there? I was originally thinking some kind of small puffer, which would eat the MTS, but they'd def kill my rabbit snails too, no? Unless there's a kind that's so small they'd ignore the huge snails, but my experience with puffers aggression tells me this is unlikely.

Any small, cool fish I could do? I could always remove the rabbit snails and go for a puffer after all, I suppose.

Basically looking for something cool that could live in a 20g for life with high pH and plants.

Or should I just wait a couple of months and try the sulawesi cardinal shrimp again?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
you get get a shoal of loaches and watch them interract.
I had a single blue botia and he was AWESOME, but around feeding time he would shred all my other fish up with his eye spikes. they get really mean at feeding time so I had to get rid of him eventually.

How about skunk botia, or a whole shoal of Corydoras, apparently they are easy to breed in a species aquarium

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
dwarf puffers are fun I had a few for a while I would definitely recommend them.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
How long has the tank been set up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store