3 week vacation - come back brown water

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
So

I have a 90 gallon tank with 5 fancy goldfish (~4 inch body or so) and 2 BN plecos. They have been living together happy for 5-9 months (didn't get all at once). I tried all sorts of plants and failed due to eating or digging, but water lettuce COMPLETELY covers the top, I pull it out by the ton every few weeks. I have a sump wet / dry filter and a sponge filter in the tank, I have never seen any ammonia or trites. Summary of the story I'm very lightly stocked and very highly filtered and very planted.

I just came back from a 3 weeks vacation. While I was gone I had an auto feeder and just had my inlaws top off the water, nothing else. The nitrates stayed below 10 (like i said, TONS of water lettuce), but the KH / PH went way up (~300+ and 8+) and the water turned brown ish. Usually I do weekly water changes (not because of nitrates...just for freshness), but what about this situation made the KH and PH go so high?

I did an 80% or so water change and everything is normal again. None of the fish seemed to be affected (main reason I got goldfish is I do travel a lot, and they are TANKS).

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
what's your substrate/decor? this may have been happening since day one, you just never noticed because of the water change schedule.
brown water is often tannins from wood, pH and hardness increases can be from soft rocks.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Maybe something temporarily happened to your water supply while you were gone......like a main break/repair.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Lmao you are lucky... On my 2 1/2 week vacation a whole tank of African cichlids perished due to a heater failure. I even lost my Nimbo Fusco that I grew from half an inch :(

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Lmao you are lucky... On my 2 1/2 week vacation a whole tank of African cichlids perished due to a heater failure. I even lost my Nimbo Fusco that I grew from half an inch :(

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That's why I use a heat controller with multiple heaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store