FX5 leaking?

loud1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Atlanta Ga
Have any of you had a FX5 leak at the motor when its running but not when its not running.
I had a leak so I turned it off till I could get a new seal for around the motor to my surprise the tub its sitting in is bone dry. Has anyone ever experienced this?
It seems very odd to me.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Very odd. Op was it new or used? Its hard to trust used filters without taking them apart and inspecting them or running them.

Harley, didn't you just get your fx6? Was probably from shipping it without protectionm

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
If it's leaking while it's on that means there's a small leak probably from the o-ring. Though we all know the FX doens't like backpressure there's still pressure in some form when it's running, making the leak apparent. With no flow and no pressure it's not going to leak because it's small and just started. All that means is tighten the screws a little bit more and probably order a new o-ring.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
If you had the motor off make sure when you put it back together it is seated right. If it is then like stated it probably needs new O ring. Make sure if you tighten it you dont
go crazy over tightening and crack the housing though.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
My FX5 is coming into its seventh year now running-Just had to replace 4fasteners which broke because I was a bit too strong when tightening but otherwise I've never had any problems.
I would say look at the O-ring and also like shadow stryder said ensure its tightened securely. I do find the pump housing a bit of a pain and have to be careful don't damage the screws when tightening.
Otherwise I found it tough piece if equipment and would recommend it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store