Why do people say hybrids are bad?

Master Wilkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver B.C.
Why is there a large collection of people who keep telling people creating hybrids is a bad idea? Flower horns are hybrids and people pay a ridiculous premium for them. Same with parrot cichlids, they are a hybrid and are quite popular.

I ask again, why is creating hybrid fish a bad thing? To me it seems like a fun and interesting thing to do to create your own new type of fish.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
It's all a matter of opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

And depends on the hybrid in many cases. Hybrids themselves aren't necessarily bad, but some irresponsible breeders have made it virtually impossible to find pure strains of certain species. Midas, devil, Midevil is a good example. My buddy bought what was sold to him as Trimac. Turned out to be a low grade flowerhorn.

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
It's all a matter of opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1. It depends on what kind of fish keeping you like. If you like brightly colored fish with flashy traits you probably won't have a problem with hybrids. If you're more interested in keeping biotopes or tanks with a 'natural' feel you probably won't like the idea of hybrids.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'm not a fan of hybrids pre se. I don't even care much for domestic strains of some fish (designer fish) Discus & Angle fish as an example. I like wild or wild type tank bred but once they are started to be bred for certain traits, color, fins or exagerated shapes I'm turned off. That's my taste in fish but personnaly I don't care what others keep. Keep wht ever you like just keep them healthy and be responsable. It all comes down to what you like to look at swimming around in your tank.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
natural is just my flavor
What is natural? If you look at things through evolution, everything is bastardized. Hybrids don't bother me, but I agree with JC1119... too many hacks playing Frankenstein out there. I like FH but absolutely hate parrots. To each their own

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Fancy goldfish bother me lots than blood parrot cichlids.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You may notice many threads where people have bought a fish they cannot ID, much of this is due to random hybrids taken to LFSs and sold as something they are not.
For those of us that prefer pure strain this has muddied the waters with unrecognizable mutts.
The trimac, and many Viejas are prime examples of this unidentfiablility.
And in nature when hybrids happen, natural selection of the fittest weeds out the weak, or unfit.
In aquariums people determine what survives solely by outward appearance, often allowing the unfit, and mutations to proliferate.
In the past line bred and hybrid live bearers were commonly prone to Flexibactor columnaris, while cichlids were often not, now with the invention and influx of the flowerhorn, cichlids seem to have become the next target group commonly infected the bacteria. I believe selecting genes based only for color, and humps has allowed
for the robust health based genes to be reduced.
Just as selecting corn based only on sweetness has limited its resistance to disease,
or pests, and made chemical application its only chance for success.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store