Questions about feeding earth worms to fish?

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
My Question is should you take the dirt out of the worms before you feed the fish,and does the dirt build up in tank over time.The main fish that I want to feed them to is a fire eel and tire tack eel,they eat frozen blood worms now,they are in a 420 gallon tank with a lot of tank mates and I am going threw a 16 oz frozen blood worm a week,and thought it might be cheaper buying a box of farm raised earth worms to,what do you think?

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
It has been awhile but I remember reading that most people soak the worms in water so they dispell the dirt.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Best bet is to place the earthworms in a container layered with moist newspaper. The worms will purge themselves of dirt and still be active when dropped in the tank for feeding. Throw out the moist newspaper after each purging or the paper will sour and mold. Soaking the worms in water will drown the worms and have no guarantee that they'll purge themselves before they drown.

Reactions: Will.i.am88

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
Best bet is to place the earthworms in a container layered with moist newspaper. The worms will purge themselves of dirt and still be active when dropped in the tank for feeding. Throw out the moist newspaper after each purging or the paper will sour and mold. Soaking the worms in water will drown the worms and have no guarantee that they'll purge themselves before they drown.
+1 but i usually rinse them in water and squeeze them gently before i feed my fish. they would go crazy for it. feeding earthworms gives a very messy tank, especially the gravel. gosh. and to my experience, once u feed them earthworms u wont find it easy to feed them pellets. lol

harleyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
saskatoon sk. canada
Just my opinion but if your feeding a 420 gal tank you aren't going to notice the gunk inside them with such a large water coloum my fish eat them whole but if you are cutting them up I guess purging them makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Thanks for refreshing my memory

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I have never purged my earthworms for my rays and i go through thousands of worms. I guess it depends on your filtration too

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Just chop to size required and throw them in. uploadfromtaptalk1389545721164.jpg

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
The first time you feed the worms let a worm sit in a cup of water with a little dirt. I used to feed earthworms but stopped when the worms in on box turn the water a antifreeze green. I used to get them at a baitshop.

You could get squid, clams, frozen fish and shrimp pretty cheap at the supermarket. You also don't have to deal with live food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store