Overflow Box Flow Rates

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I have 2 ESHOPPS Model PF 1800 that are rated for 1600 gph each. I figure I am only getting about half of that each. Is there a way to get more gph out of these overflow boxes?
I know I will never hit 1600 gph each but I would like to get more out of them if possible.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I've been having the same problem. My pump is noisy because I'm not getting enough water to it. To fix it I lowered the overflow box and added more water to the tank. I've been messing with the dang thing for weeks lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I am getting enough water to the pump I just want to increase flow through the OFB to at least get 75% of what it is rated for so I can get a new larger pump.

Been doing some research, I have 4 Ball valves and 3x 30 degree elbows on each of the 4x 1.5 " drain lines. Will this drastically reduce flow to the sump? Should I remove the Ball valves?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Thanks Strollo,

I just used rigid plumbing for a cleaner look. And in all honesty when figuring flow loss I only considered the return. I didn't consider the drain side of setup.

I am assuming I can find 1.5" soft hosing pretty readily? Should I look for a specific type of hosing?

I have two long runs from the left side of setup and two short drops on the right, so cut off the fittings and just clamp the hosing to the straight drops from each OFB into the sump eliminating all of the fittings and ball valves thus increasing gph.

Here is a pic:

IMAG2863.jpg

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So each box has (2) 1.5" bulkhead fittings right? (4) 1.5s should be able to handle 5400. Weak or slow point must be the "U" tubes? Can you double them? Use 2 U tubes on each box?

Then the teeth will likely need to go. And you may need to cut where the teeth were down a bit to keep the water level from creeping up. I use plastic gutter gaurd where the teeth were.

I bet that would give you 4K+ GPH pretty easy. :)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
yep, each box has 2x 1.5" bulkheads.
I am using a 1.5" U tube on each box now instead of the standard 1". When I put dual U tubes it causes the water levels to drop in the skimmer side therefore causing air to settle in the tubes.

So then by removing the teeth (all of them?) it will increase the flow back into the skimmer raising the water level. Eliminating the need for removing the ball valves? I
Can dual 1.5" bulk heads handle the dual 1.5" dual U tubes? I imagine I need to use the same diameter U tubes.

What about the 2.5" pipe lifts on the drain side? Whole reason I installed them was because the skimmer side couldn't keep up with the 1.5" U tubes. Thinking aloud here. if I just removed them (lifts) and cut the teeth if that would increase the flow without dual U tubes?

Will be elated if I can get 4K. I will be happy to just get what they are rated for.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
It's hard to say, like you mentioned every change effects something else possibly upsetting the delicate balance.

I think as long as there's no air in the tubes you should get out what you put in until you exceed what that tube can flow under full siphon. In other words, unless you have a huge pump capable of doing that 4K at the 6' of head, it should b fine.

Sounds to me like the teeth slowed flow, and that's why your skimmer box level dropped, so definitely start with the teeth..... Maybe every other one, then all of them if that's not enough. But not sure if that alone would increase flow without adding the second tube? Only way to find out might be to increase flow and see if it handles it or not.......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store