Skittish baby silver?

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Hi, not posted in about 4years, but I'm back lol

I have a 6" baby silver arow in a 30gal (36x12x15) grow out, it's planted with plenty of swimming space, only tank mates a 4 columbium tetras about 2.5", 2 adult kribs and 4 juvi kribs. Nothing bothers any thing.

He swims around fine, feeding on shrimp and bloodworm...BUT every time I go any where near the tank, or enter my room he'll either go and hide behind the filter...

Even stranger tho, he gets that spooked, simply from sitting up across the room, he hides UNDER the plants on the tank floor, to me this isn't normal arowana behaviour?

He's getting worse not better, despite me trying to less 'In his face'

Checked my prams and all are good...

Can't work this guy out, non of my past arowanas have done this, I've had him about 3 weeks, but like I said, non of my past arows have.

It's good to be back

Thanks in advance

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
More info. Any tank mates? How planted is the tank? If he's got a lot of abstracted views he may not get used to the outside of the tank.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Like I said 4 tetras and kribs, it's only lightly planted, 3 small amazon swords in the middle around some rocks, and a java fern either side of that, it's very empty in a lot of ways, he has good swimming space along the front and side of the tank.

He's always swimming about, until I move (7 times out of 10)

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
More info. Any tank mates? How planted is the tank? If he's got a lot of abstracted views he may not get used to the outside of the tank.

Luke you gotta read the post first :)

I've never raised one from a baby, until now. I am experiencing the same thing you are: when I get near the tank he hides. My setup is similar to yours, but my guy is a bit smaller, maybe 3+ inches at the moment. My larger ones have typically been bolder, and rush to the top to eat. I was assuming this was natural, defensive behavior for a young, small fish, and that eventually as he got bigger he would get bolder.

Are you saying that the babies you've raised in the past have been bolder from the start though?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
I tend to not buy any less than 5" as then I know they are clear from the yolk sack, but yes all my others have been fine and ive never had an issue hence why I'm confused /:

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us

Reaaaddd! lol

But its just being a natural silver. Should grow some confidence with some size. Just hang in there. Took my jardni from 3 inches to 8inches to not bash his head in everytime i walked into the room. Wait it out! Its a phase!

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Tbh I found a solution that has seemed to work, I put 4 large yellow gourami with him and now he's more confident and doesn't seem phased by me any more, it must be because there are some top dwellers that aren't shy, seems to have done the trick :) try it, not like they break the bank or are hard to Rehome if it doesn't work....I know they aren't beautiful but what ever work eh :) dither fish for shy fish lol

Capten_Munch

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2013
Malaysia
don't worry about your aro being skittish is perfectly normal its kinda like their defense mechanism.

another theory of why your aro gets scared by you is probably because its a newly introduced aro. A few more weeks that lil bugger of yours would be begging food from you

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Didn't need a few days, 2 days after this post and he's demanding food lol, thanks guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store