Tank for Frank

Pacuowner

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
Hi all,

I have found an acrylic tank that is 120 inches long by 31 inches tall and 35 inches wide. It's is made from 3/4 inch acrylic with a full top. Is this thick enough. I own a Pacu and was thinking of making a tank.
but with this tank all I have to focus on is stand, lights, filtration . I'm Just concerned about the thickness.

tank.jpg

Pacuowner

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
Thank for all you wonderful feedback. what a great site for answers. drip drip drip...

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
. what a great site for answers. .
since there is no question, what do you want?

are you asking if you'd be better off building a tank instead of buying this acrylic tank?
I'd say yes. a well cared for pacu gets big, fast. acrylic tanks are expensive and I'd say you're better off putting the money towards the 500G-600G you'll need.

and you might want to get that drip looked at by a plumber, or doctor, depending on where it's coming from.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Those are awesome dimensions, and I'm sure Frank will appreciate the space. I know Pacu keepers get a lot of crap for owning Pacu's in the first place, but you appear to be looking out for his best interests.

I tried clicking on the pic, but it wouldn't enlarge so I might be asking seemingly silly questions. In regards to the filtration, is this tank drilled? With something that size, it seems like a sump is going to be your best bet. I imagine you could line up 3-4 FX5's, but what I understand about Pacu's, they are messy guys.

I'm not going to touch the idea of the stand, but there is plenty of info in the DIY section. The guys who built their own stands on here really do a good job, and there are write ups telling you how they go about it. Fairly simple from what I've read, but I'm a stickler for aesthetics, and my finishing work just isn't good enough to build something I would be happy with.

The lighting is an interesting portion though. On a 10' long tank, you could feasibly use a 6' LED strip. Depending on your substrate, it creates a well lit center section, with dimly lit areas on the side. It's not only a cool effect, but many fish like having a refuge from the bright lights.

I'm sure others will chime in shortly. In the meantime, would you mind posting more pics? I just want to covet your tank a bit more :D

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
That thickness is great for that height, Buy away if its a good deal, sounds like a nice tank.

Pacuowner

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
Ok I just purchased it. I could not get him down to 1000 I did get him to 1300 with 2 sets of lights, all the bulkheads,and decorations. I will try and post the one picture I have again. more to follow.

00O0O_hHx6BaWva7c_600x450.jpg

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Great size tank. Havent seen the thread lately but might want to look into pacumom's tank build. She was taking extra measures for the health and safety of her pacu and I know one concern was them smashing into the sides

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Nice pickup! It figures it would be drilled at that size. Canister filters just aren't suited to that kind of volume.

Don't suppose the guy is going to throw in the sump he was running on that thing? If not, I'm guessing you have a decent amount of planning ahead of you:
What size sump will you run?
What return pump(s) will you run?
What media are you going to use in the sump?

All fun stuff. At least the lighting is taken care of though.

I'm excited to see this tank up and running. Makes me want to upgrade my 180 to something a bit more Monster.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store