Going planted- what to get?

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Well I finally decided to try and add some plants to my ~200 G tank. I don't have much experience and all my previous attempts failed miserably, so I'm asking for some advice from the experts here. The LFS near me just got a selection of plants. This is what is available to me:

Java moss ( I'm getting this for sure )
Java fern
Amazon sword (echinodorus bleheri)
anubias barteri
anubias nana
anubias congensis
Blyxa japonica
cryptocoryne undulata ( probably getting this too )
egeria densa
hygrophila polysperma
Ludwigia Natans (or repens)

There is maybe a few more I'm forgetting but basically this is what they have. I need advice on what would be the most undemanding, easy to care for, combo of those plants that you'd recommend I get? Also worth noting is that I will not be using CO2 and there is no liquid fertilizers to buy in my country. I can get dry fertz used for potting plants or clay dirt I can use to place in pockets under the sand near the plants. I still didn't get the light so I will appreciate any advice on that too. I was thinking of getting 2 T5 bulbs in a 6500K spectrum as a start. The tank is 69''x23''x29"high and the substrate is sand.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
You can use ORGANIC potting soil and "cap" it with sand, or better yet buy flourite and mix it with sand, that will make sure the roots have nutrients.

For fertilizer I'm pretty sure you can order dry fertz online in your country. All you need is N-P-K (nitrates/phosphorus/potassium) and trace minerals aka Plantex csm. This is all you need: http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.html that site doesn't ship outside the US but maybe there's another site that does? If you can't get that then order Seachem flourish, Seachem Trace and Seachem Excel (for carbon/co2): http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-...ant-liquid-nutrients/ps/c/3578/3746/3751?s=ts

For lighting a tank that tall w/o injected co2 can be tricky with medium light plants but I think dual t5 running the length of the tank is sufficient and 6500k is perfect.

For plants just pick ones that are low/med lighting. Obviously tall plants like swords go in the back and shorter ones up front. Definitely check out Java fern, Java moss, anubius and swords to start with and some nice driftwood. Check out some other tanks for planning out the aquascape because you want depth and fluidity!

Be warned it is very addicting but also very rewarding if done right!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Thnx F1 VET for the advice. I got 2 T5 bulbs 6500K today, they're chinese but I'm hoping they'll be enough cuz I'm planning on low to mid light for the plants. I don't want to make it high tech cuz this is primarely a cichlid tank, I just want some plants to make it look nicer. What plants out of the ones available will do best without much fertz?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Thnx F1 VET for the advice. I got 2 T5 bulbs 6500K today, they're chinese but I'm hoping they'll be enough cuz I'm planning on low to mid light for the plants. I don't want to make it high tech cuz this is primarely a cichlid tank, I just want some plants to make it look nicer. What plants out of the ones available will do best without much fertz?
No problem!

Unfortunately the plants your going to have to research, just Google each one and they will state the care required and lighting needed! BTW some cichlids will tear up your plants but cichlids aren't my cup of tea so I'm not exactly sure which ones, obviously the ones that dig you don't want!

Like I said earlier java fern, java moss, anubius are very easy plants.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title and 9 wins back to back in 1 season (record!) See you next year in Australia boys!× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Well I got the first 2 plants. I got them as a free gift with another purchase. They gave me java moss and the plant in the pic below, I'm not sure what it is but I think it's anubias congensis. Can anyone confirm that?
I've reading up on plants and cryptocoryne undulata seems pretty undemanding when it comes to fertz. I was thinking of getting java fern and Amazon sword but they seem to need iron. Will they be ok with some clay dirt near them? I put 2 handfuls of clay potting soil in a stocking, tied it up and placed it under the sand.

Photo0100.jpg

Photo0100.jpg

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
What kind of cichlids will be in your tank? Many of mine are sifters, so they're constantly rearranging substrate. They eat, move and/or uproot most of my plants. Its been an interesting and costly experiment to find plants they'll leave alone

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
That's a crypt not an anubias, its fine buried like that.
Ah yes I was wondering why there is no rhizome, so I guess that's a cryptocoryne undulata, thanks alot.

What kind of cichlids will be in your tank? Many of mine are sifters, so they're constantly rearranging substrate. They eat, move and/or uproot most of my plants. Its been an interesting and costly experiment to find plants they'll leave alone
I have 2 female Gt's, 1 oscar, pair of convicts and 1 texas. That's it as far as cichlids go. They do dig occasionally, specially the breeding pair of cons but I'll try to plant them somewhere between large stones if i see them uprooting them.

I'm very interested in these plants egeria densa, hygrophila polysperma, Ludwigia Natans. Does anyone have any experience with them in a low tech setup?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
The easiest plants as mentioned are anubias and java fern. Both do best when attached to driftwood and will grow under most conditions and lighting. Ive never had much luck growing rooted plants in sand, only time ive ever had luck growing anything in substrate was with a plant specific substrate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store